FileVault 2 reversion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jayhawk11, Nov 18, 2011.

1. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Hey all,

Had FileVault 2 on for a while, and it's been great, but now I need to shut it off. I already shut it off in System Preferences and let it decrypt the drive.

Now, when I view it in DaisyDisk, Disk Utility or Terminal, the drive still displays as an encrypted volume. I've tried
    Code:
    diskutil coreStorage revert *UUID goes here*
    but Terminal just gives me the following error:

"Error: -69741: The target disk isn't eligible for reversion because it wasn't created by conversion or it is not part of a simple setup of exactly one logical and one physical volume"

Anyone got ideas?

2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem when trying to revert a separate volume which contained sensitive office documents. I had encrypted the volume originally using the terminal command but the decrypt command you provided gave me the same error message.
    I was finally forced to (1) backup the volume to a firewire drive, (2) reformat the volume via disk utility without encryption and (3) recopy the original files. This method also is the fastest since encrypting an empty volume is instantaneous, and copying over the necessary files via firewire (or thunderbolt!) took me about half an hour for 80 GB of data.

3. jayhawk11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

The only thing that I can think of is that maybe it had something to do with me having Boot Camp on that drive, too.

Weird.

I ended up using diskutil to kill the bootcamp partition, then was able to remove the encryption using
    Code:
    diskutil coreStorage revert
    command