FileVault 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oldcelt, Jul 19, 2012.

1. oldcelt macrumors 6502

Hi all
    Looking for advice here.
    I had Filevault (the earlier legacy one) enabled on my 2007 MBP. When i installed Lion and tried to move to Filevault 2 it was impossible because the space needed was bigger then my drive. I was therefore rather hesitant about about enabling Filevault 2 on my new MBA.
    What are people's experiences? Would I be better waiting until after Mountain Lion???
    Advice please!

2. scarred macrumors 6502a

"It just worked". I didn't notice the speed decrease. I don't think there are any updates to Filevault in ML, but you might as well wait till next week before turning it on.

I only use it when traveling, which I don't do too much anymore. It is easy to turn off as well.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FileVault 2 is a vast improvement over the earlier FileVault. Instead of just encrypting your home folder, the entire drive is encrypted. I've not noticed any major performance hits and the actual encryption went quite fast for me.

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Had same experience.

The only thing that was a tiny issue for me I remote into my computers a lot. With file vault 2 since it encrypts the entire drive you can't do reboots without manually being there. Only an issue when I'm working on my mac in NY from miami

5. oldcelt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, it's not the effect on speed or anything like that that worries me, it was my previous problems with the legacy file vault. Just wondering if anyone had problems in disabling file vault 2.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have disabled and reenabled it a couple time tinkering around swapping SSD drives and such, and never had any trouble at all.

As an aside, if you enable FV2, it is a good idea to enable a firmware password also.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It says Apple is no longer maintaining that page. I wonder why?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry, that is an outdated article. With newer machines you just command-r boot to get to the Recovery console and then from the Utilities menu select the Firmware Password utility. :eek: