Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I have yet to ever use filevault. For some reason today when installing PB4 it suggested I turn it on, use an iCloud key etc, and I decided why not. My SSD previously read as APFS, now it reads as APFS (encrypted). Make sense? Also, any issues with this beta and firevault I should be aware of? It has said encrypting - 1 minute remaining for a while now.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My understanding is that FileVault encryption is going to be the default (turned on) when the final release of High Sierra is installed. Anyone heard anything different?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
That would make sense given my PB4 install today. I think the reason I enabled it was because the suggestion to do so seemed like the default. I always thought though that formatting a drive with encryption was separate or different from filevault.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I always thought though that formatting a drive with encryption was separate or different from filevault.
Yes and no. For the start-up drive it's essentially the same on HFS+. APFS adds more encryption options in addition to FDE, along with the ability to have multiple keys for different encrypted files.

Reactions: LarryJoe33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.