FileVault and Dual Drive (SSD & HDD) Setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Jan 4, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I actually just thought of this right now and it didn't occur to me that it may be a problem later. My HDD right now is encrypted by FV and when it turns on, the disk is decrypted with my user/pw through a separate partition. Anyway, I'm planning on using this only as storage now and my SSD as my OSX boot drive. It will contain my music, apps, photos etc that the SSD will be accessing. Is it actually possible to do that with the HDD? or will it remain encrypted? I also plan on turning FV on my SSD when everything is settled.

2. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I suppose a format of my HDD is the only option then, right? Unless the system is booted from that drive, it will remain encrypted. Anyone want to chime in?

3. robbysibrahim macrumors member

robbysibrahim

same question

I want to replace my optical drive on my MacBook Pro with an SSD but then realized it would be tricky for someone who wants to use FV2. Anyone out there have a clever setup to mirror?

4. jackrv macrumors 6502

Maybe you could make an unencrypted Time Machine backup and restore that to a new drive. Not sure how Carbon Copy Cloner works with Encrypted volume but maybe worth a try.