FileVault and Lion Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thatoneguy82, Jun 17, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I routinely boot from my recovery drive from start up (option key) and select the drive instead of my normal drive. I do this when I want to run diagnostics on the main drive. When I turned on FileVault, hitting the option key at startup revealed no additional drives, just the main one. I had an idea of inserting my Lion USB thumb drive that I created and it showed up and booted from there. When I attempted to run diagnostics using Disk Utility, I was unable to. The partition was "grayed" out. So, I'm a bit confused about this. Has FV deleted my Lion recovery drive? Is there no way to "repair disk" while FV is enabled?

2. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Enabling File Vault 2 hides the Recovery Partition from the boot menu. To boot from your Recovery Partition, turn on your mac and press and hold Cmd-R after you hear the chime.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Is there any way to "repair" the disk while I have FV on? I tried these and the partition is still greyed out. When I verify the disk, I get these messages.

[​IMG]

4. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Is this Disk Utility the one from the recovery partition? If yes, then you have to select "256.06 GB M4..." disk. You have currently selected a partition on the disk. For disk repair, you have to select disk itself.

If no, then after booting from the recovery partition, you have to first mount the disk you want to repair. Disk utility will ask you for your FileVault password to unlock the disk. After that it should be able to verify and repair the disk.