Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twaize

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I recently moved my SSD to a new Mac, nothing I haven't done before. But this time, Time Machine didn't work anymore, so I wiped the drive I use, and tried starting over, but it kept not working. I found the error message in the attached screenshot "Time Machine Error", which says won't work as long as FileVault hasn't finished encrypting the drive (I decrypted the drive before moving the SSD, and re-encrypted it once it was in the new Mac). FileVault however, claims that my drive is already encrypted (see the screenshot "FileVault Error"), but won't let me disable FileVault (I have unlocked the necessary setting).

Any ideas/suggestions? I don't like being without my local backup .

Thank you

Attachments

• FileVault Error.png
    FileVault Error.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Time Machine Error.png
    Time Machine Error.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 172

Twaize

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I never tried decrypting, this is just the state of affairs from trying to encrypt. I've been googling around some more, but can't find any solutions.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Check to see if the encryption process reformatted your drive to APFS, which is not compatible with Time Machine.

If you right-click an external drive in High Sierra and choose "encrypt", it will silently reformat the drive to APFS without any warning. I did exactly this, and it hosed my Time Machine drive which I had not choice but to reformat back to HFS+ and lose all the data in the process. Not good!

More here: https://bombich.com/blog/2017/09/29/think-twice-before-encrypting-your-hfs-volumes-on-high-sierra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.