FileVault error after Leopard install!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oldscool63, Nov 16, 2007.

1. oldscool63 macrumors newbie

Hello, gang:

I hope someone has a fx for this!

After installing Leopard, I get an error that says "Your FileVault-protected home folder did not open and needs to be repaired. Click OK to repair the folder and contiue logging in".

So I do and after a few seconds I get: "You are unable to log in to the user account "(username)" at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occured".

So, I tried retting the password, zapping the PRAM, logging in as the secondary to access the FileVault, fsck-f, repaired the permissions and disk, and finally went to Apple Supprt and deleted the username and password!

What am I missing? How can I access the OS without having to erase and re-install?

Thanks, all!

oldscool63

2. apen8 macrumors newbie

file vault error in leopard

I have the same problem that you do. Do you figure out how to fix it?
    Please help

3. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I just had the same issue. I've used FileVault since its inception, largely without any problems. But I came to my computer this morning and noticed all kinds of weird behavior. When I tried logging out, I got the same message as you guys.

Fortunately, in my case rebooting fixed the issue... this time. But needless to say, FileVault no longer has a place on my computer. I have no way of knowing if/when this will occur again... and if I'll be able to recover from it.

4. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I've been using FileVault as an experiment on a MBP for a few weeks now, both pre- and post-Leopard install. But I only use it for a couple of directories that require encryption and not on my entire home folder.

I have experienced no problems at all. Seems to work as advertised.

5. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

Exactly how are you only using it for specific directories? By definition, FileVault encrypts your ENTIRE Home Folder. There is no way, at least in the default use of FileVault, to specify what it encrypts and what it doesn't.

6. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Well, first there is no way that I am going to use a piece of software to encrypt my entire home directory without fiddling with it first. Plus, I see no reason for encrypting the vast majority of my data - iTunes data, e-mail, calendar, bookmarks, etc. I may encrypt the financial stuff eventually - but only after extensive testing on the laptop.

I should mention that FileVault is installed only on my MBP, a machine I use only when away from home. It does not contain much of anything other than some client notes that need to be encrypted for professional reasons. My home machine contains all of my personal data. No FileVault yet.

To get to the point of your question, you can just create a FileVault folder after it is installed (actually, you can create as many folders as you like, each with a different password). I copied the directories/files I wanted encrypted into the "vault", then deleted their source files (after I had ensured I could open and modify the encrypted ones). No problem.

I don't ever intend to encrypt my home folder, don't see the need. YMMV.