Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Hello, new poster here.

After reading about potential disaster scenarious involving FileVault, I decided that maybe I should disable it...I go to system preferences to disable it, but it gives me an error and says that it needs an additional 4088.5 GB of free disc space to complete the process. I only have 10.1 GB of free space left on my 60 GB HDD :( Any suggestions :confused: :confused: :confused:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You don't have an extra 4 TeraBytes available. Jeez, get with the program!

I have not heard of this problem, but perhaps you'll need to boot up in safe mode (hold shift at startup) and give it a shot? I am not using FileVault cause it scares me, but I'm assuming you've restarted your machine and repaired perms and all.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
lol of course I realize I dont have 4 TB of space. I am on my first generation 12" powerbook after all :D I will try repairing permissions and restarting, and also try the safe mode tip. Thanks.

(I sure can't wait to get my brand new iMac next week :eek:)

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I checked on the Apple Discussion site and I have found somebody else having the same 4TB problem

Here is the link which takes you to the thread, there is somebody there who has given a way to sort this out:

Link

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
How much space does your Home folder take? To shut off FileVault you need that same amount of free space on your HD (and add some).

Best thing you can do is to move some stuff out of your Home folder to reduce it's size, I'd start with the iTunes library (why would you want to encrypt your music anyway?) and maybe the iPhoto library. Just drag both the iTunes Music folder inside the iTunes folder and the iPhoto Library folder anywhere else on the disk, restart to let OS X regain the space no longer needed by FileVault and see if your Home folder isn't small enough to shut off FileVault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.