Filevault in Lion and theft recovery accounts

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Forgeron, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Forgeron macrumors member

Is there any way to use file vault in lion and still have a guest account open without password (or maybe provide the password in the password hint) so that a potential thief can be tracked down using preyproject.com or similar services that take pictures of a thief while they use my mac?

Currently (snow leopard) I have an encrypted user folder for myself, and an unencrypted no password account named "guest" for thieves. :)

I'm afraid that if I encrypt the whole drive, either the thief cannot log in, or if I provide a password free guest login my files in my home folder won't be safe anymore.

Any insight?

2. Forgeron thread starter macrumors member

Well I cannot possibly be the only nerd out here obsessed with encryption and theft recovery stories all at the same time, right? :)

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Guest access is still possible when using filevault2.
    Here is the log in screen. Excuse the iPone screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. Forgeron thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for checking!

But would a piece of software like Prey (or Orbicule Undercover or MacTrak) be able to run in that guest mode? Or can you not install anything in that mode?

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't think you can, I have not checked but I'm pretty sure it is for Apple's Find A Mac recovery feature. The thief uses Safari and the IP address is sent to Apple. I tested the feature before my filevault2 install, but have not after. It is still in beta.

6. kev1234 macrumors member

I already try it on my mac, I log in into the guess account....in there you can only use safari... when the laptop get access to a wifi network them you can send it messages and lock the screen with find my iPhone on your iPad or iPhone... but of course you need to have installed iCloud on your computer so you can active it find my mac...

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Oh I know. I installed and tested before filevault2. I just have not installed 10.7.2 and tested the newest beta since encrypting my disk.
    So you'r saying you tested after encrypting since filevault2?

8. kev1234 macrumors member

Yes !

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Good to know, I had no doubts :)
    After all, Apple wants to use their own Find My Mac service instead of letting third part applications do the job.

10. kev1234 macrumors member

Yeap !.... but one thing that It will make find my mac or find my iPhone the best app, is to be able to take a picture when the device is in use !!! like the other apps do !!

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

In time, I'm sure Apple's Find My Mac will incorporate that function.

12. Forgeron thread starter macrumors member

I doubt it. Sounds like a bucket of pain to deal with all these "innocent" people who bought a Mac at a pawn shop and now have their privacy violated by Apple's built in spy system. Also, it freaks people out that a system like that might be active on their machine because they think Apple employees can now watch their face.

Sounds like a legal nightmare to me. And there are hardly any upsides to Apple to implement a picture taking feature. Back to My Mac is a productivity tool for when you left your mac at home but are at work, not a theft recovery tool.

13. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

We are talking about Find My Mac, it is in beta, and is a recovery tool. It makes sense to have the same features the other Mac recovery applications already have on the market.

14. Forgeron thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you. I'm just afraid Apple won't want to open the can of worms that is remote access to the webcam. I can already imagine the headlines about how Apple's built in software provides ways for dirty old men to spy on [...]

At least with Prey you are actively taking steps to install this software yourself making Apple not liable.

But let's hope Apple will actually install this camera option. Maybe a giant disclaimer will do enough to help them out.