Filevault Nightmare

Discussion in 'macOS' started by videoguy34, Jan 26, 2010.

1. videoguy34 macrumors newbie

I recently used FileVault to encrypt my home folder. My Imac worked fine for two weeks after. I unplugged it to move it, when I restarted, it won't accept my password to login! I've read through many of the articles and it seems I am not the first one to have this problem. I am 99.5891% sure I am using the exact password but sometimes I get the CSRM_MEMORY_ERR ... etc error. All I really want to recover are the 1600+ pictures in that home folder but I cannot access it to copy it to another account I set up as new adminstrator. I've been told that if its in FileVault, that's where it's going to stay! ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Which OS are you using, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6?
    Do you have any backups?
    Have you tried logging in as single user mode? (Google if you don't know)
    Do you have any other user accounts?
    Are you certain about that error message? When I search for it in Google, I only find this thread.

3. videoguy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

I am using 10.5! I did not have a backup :(. Ironically my intention was to protect others from seeing what I can no longer see myself!
    I have tried some work-around methods from the forums with little success. I can "see" the folder when I log in as a different user (I created a different login account) but I have no access to it, nor can I get access. Basically what has happened is that I encrypted the home folder and somehow and for some reason, the password that I use is not accepted. I do not get the 'shake' indicating its wrong, but I get the error CSRM_ .... (sorry I do not have the exact text string in front of me for that error right now). It was suggested I access the USERS folder and gain access that way but it does not work. Do you have ANY suggestions. Very frustrated.

Thanks in advance

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Here's one page I found. I'm not completely sure if the situation is similar enough to yours to be helpful, but worth a look at. It dealt with people who had FileVault on when they upgraded the OS and got locked out. This discussion led me to the above and may be worth looking through as well.

5. videoguy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks Angelwatt, I don't know why I missed those threads in my search. I've read through them, now I have to print them and read and read so I understand exactly what it is I am doing before I actually do it! I do feel some hope now ... I'll keep you posted on my (anticipated) success! Again ... thank you for your efforts.:)

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

The error CSRM_MEMORY_ERR kind of makes me think that it might be something to do with memory. ;) Open her up and try reseating the memory, it might have come unseated when you moved it. If that doesn't change anything try running hardware diagnostics off the install CD and see if it comes up with anything.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I feel for the OP, and hope he can recover his images.

I also hope this thread like the many others here and on the apple discussions forum provide a good warning to others about the risks of using FV.

I've seen far too many threads and issues with FV then what might be the potential benefit. There seems to be safer solutions to protect one's data. I don't think FileVault is one of those solutions, as I see far too many threads about people unable to access their data or having problems with FV, or cannot uninstall it because it needs far too much storage to decrypt the home folder.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed

Very few users need their entire Home Folder encrypted
    In my opinion, creating an encrypted .dmg is a far better solution for sensitive material

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I use

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You say that a lot, but never back it up. Most of the issues with FileVault were fixed with 10.5 Leopard. This thread is one of the very few occasions I have seen, and it's still unclear as to what caused it. If you search MR you'll have a very hard time finding any FV issues for people on Leopard or higher. That said, I do agree most people don't need it. I am one who does for my work. My coworkers and I have had no issues with FV. Backups are also crucial whether you're using encryption or not, which can remedy these kinds of problems.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its funny, how you tell me I say this a lot and I only say it in threads that people post about issues with FV. That kind of sums things up :D

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes it does, you rarely say it because it rarely happens.