FileVault on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thesdx, Apr 26, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking of enabling FileVault on my MacBook since I have some sensitive information from customers on it. It seems that constant encrypting and decrypting would slow file transfers down significantly. Does it work as advertised?

2. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

It is a little slower while working, but the main drawback is on startup and shutdown. This is where you'll notice the most effects on speed.

If you have really sensitive information, check out IronKey (www.ironkey.com). It's a FIPS certified USB flashdrive that will soon be available in an 8 GB version (in another 2 weeks or so). After 10 unsuccessful password attempts, it will destroy the data. If someone tries to pry it open, it will physically destroy the chip. It's a very secure flash drive for those who really, really need to protect their data.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Now I apologize for reviving a dead thread (please don't flame me), but I have been seeing the ad for this all over this site and finally clicked on it. This looks like one hell of a device, and is scarily advanced. Has anybody tried it with a Mac yet? I can't seem to find anywhere on their site where they mention Macs, all I have seen for computer references is XP or Vista, but it didn't list them as a requirement. I am looking for a decent flash-drive, and although I don't need it, the security behind this one makes me want to buy it over others.

EDIT: Never-minds, I found it on their site where they list that they are "already developing and testing IronKey components that allow you to use it on Mac and Linux systems." So I guess it will have to wait.

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Their prices are way out of line. Good Lord you can get a 500 gig external for what they charge for 8 gig stick.

5. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

You get what you pay for. It would be extremely difficult to crack data stored on an IronKey. Not everyone needs this kind of security. If you're storing sensitive information (client data, patient records, national security), then the price is worth it. If you're storing your letters and photos, then you don't really have a need for the IronKey.

IronKey works fine on a Mac, but you need to initialize it with Windows.

They recently hired a former Apple software engineer to help develop their Mac software. Look for more advancements in the coming months. Firmware updates have been promised to be free.