Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avarize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Hello,

I have FileVault 2 Enabled on my Yosemite install (2014 Air) and I have a few questions. If I am understanding correctly if I do a full shutdown (Logout > Shutdown) the next time I boot the computer I should be presented with a grey wallpaper in pre-boot before the disc is unlocked. My concern is that no matter how the computer is shut down I am always presented with the normal login screen with my wallpaper etc. Does this mean that FV2 is not working? How do I force it to move to the "dual" login where the grey screen appears again?

I have used "sudo fdesetup status" and it does show the status as ON.

Thank you.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
I noticed a change with file vault after upgrading to yosemite. The gray screen is gone, replace with a normal login screen. You know file vault is working when, you boot and its almost instantly at the login screen. then you enter password and then you see the progress bar. this is important to point out. at first boot, the disk isn't decrypted yet. you enter the pass, it decrypts, then boots. Is that the behaviour you are seeing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.