Filevault question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InfiniteLoopy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

If I delete a filevault password for an external time machine drive from the Mac keychain, is the drive automatically decrypted?

Does deleting the password change the drive’s encrypted/decrypted status?

thanks

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I don't believe so. I believe you need to connect the drive and option-click (or right-click) it in the Finder sidebar to decrypt it.

3. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

Can anyone else confirm this is correct?

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Does it help if I explain my reasoning as to why I believe your method won't work?

Keychain is a repository where passwords are saved. FileVault is a feature of the file system, simply deleting the saved password in Keychain won't tell the filesystem to decrypt the disk.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

@hallux is spot on.

When you first attach an encrypted drive you will get a popup to enter the password and there is a checkbox to remember that password in Keychain. That way the next time you attached the drive, the password from Keychain will be used and the drive will mount without you doing anything. If you delete the PW from Keychain all is does is stop the drive from auto-mounting using the PW from Keychain. It has no impact on the encryption status of the drive.

6. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to both. That’s the clarification I needed.