Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Hi friends,

I used Filevault on my macbook pro that recently broke down.

When i'm connecting the old hard drive ( with filefault on it) to my new macbook pro with SATA to USB there happens nothing, no screen pops up to put in the password

http://i59.tinypic.com/2igykit.jpg
Note : I do have the Filevault code but I cannot enter it anywhere,

Is my only sollution to mount the old one in my new macbook pro to put in the code? Since my macbook is all new now I don't like taking it apart

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Pretty sure you have to boot from it to unlock it. They might have tools at an AppleStore, but I'm not 100% sure.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi friends,

I used Filevault on my macbook pro that recently broke down.

When i'm connecting the old hard drive ( with filefault on it) to my new macbook pro with SATA to USB there happens nothing, no screen pops up to put in the password

http://i59.tinypic.com/2igykit.jpg
Note : I do have the Filevault code but I cannot enter it anywhere,

Is my only sollution to mount the old one in my new macbook pro to put in the code? Since my macbook is all new now I don't like taking it apart

Attach the drive then start Disk Util and look in the File menu. You can click Unlock there and enter your password and that will open the disk for you to browse as you wish. There is also an option on that same menu to unencrypt the drive.

What you posted is wrong and has absolutely nothing to do with OP's problem. What you posted is from the old Filevault used in Snow Leopard and does not apply here. So much for your one second Google search.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
What you posted is wrong and has absolutely nothing to do with OP's problem. What you posted is from the old Filevault used in Snow Leopard and does not apply here. So much for your one second Google search.

I take it back then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.