Filevault won't turn on...out of ideas

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Beerswiller, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Beerswiller macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've been trying to turn on Filevault on a new 27' iMac. After a few hours, I get the following two error messages on the screen:
    ---
    An error occurred

An error occurred during encryption (Could not create FileVault disk image). Filevault won't be turned on for this account.
    ---
    and...
    ---
    An error occurred

An error occurred during encryption (An error occurred durying copying.). Filevault won't be turned on for this account.
    ---

My home folder is a migrated account moved during initial install. Filevault was enabled on my old computer (running Snow Leopard) but was turned off prior to migration.

I have plenty of space on the new hard drive.

I have repaired permissions and de-fragged using Disk Warrior.

I have also done a full zero-out of the hard drive and reinstalled with the factory disk. Same results.

I'm guessing there is something on my migrated account that is causing the error. Any pointers to what that might be would be greatly appreciated.

I have posted on the Apple forums with no response, so hoping to get some better luck here.

Thank you!

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

A permissions repair does not touch your home folder. Let's start with resetting your home folder permissions.

1. Boot to your install DVD
    2. Choose your language
    3. When the Install window appears, click Utilities > Reset Password
    4. Select the drive in question
    5. Select the user account
    6. Click the Reset button in the "Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs" section.

3. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Good info, thanks Calderone. I'll report back afterward (hopefully with success).

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There could be more details about the failure in the Console app. Check it right after the attempt and see what messages appear. I did the same process as you when I migrated my account from laptop to laptop. I only got that error due to a space issue when I was turning off FileVault on the old machine.

5. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the console log from when I turned on FV until I restarted after the errors:

Code:
    3/31/10 2:11:33 PM	1PasswordAgent[120]	Shutting down 1PasswordAgent 3.0.9 #30535 built Feb 22 2010 12:27:04

3/31/10 3:03:21 PM	mdworker[195]	CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

3/31/10 3:03:21 PM	mdworker[195]	CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

3/31/10 3:03:41 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type
      Referenced from: /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/../../../../../../../../Library/PrivateFrameworks//DevToolsCore.framework/Versions/A/DevToolsCore
      Expected in: /usr/lib/libauto.dylib

3/31/10 3:03:41 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 3:03:41 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type
      Referenced from: /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/../../../../../../../../Library/PrivateFrameworks//DevToolsCore.framework/Versions/A/DevToolsCore

3/31/10 3:03:41 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 3:03:43 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type

3/31/10 3:03:43 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 3:03:43 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type

3/31/10 3:03:43 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 3:03:50 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type

3/31/10 3:03:50 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 3:03:50 PM	mdworker32[196]	Error loading /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode:  dlopen(/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/SourceCode, 262): Symbol not found: _auto_zone_set_layout_type

3/31/10 3:03:50 PM	mdworker32[196]	Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 548A3091-3C5D-498A-A329-B532A6C896BB in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x1835d20 </Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

3/31/10 4:53:37 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The entries seem mostly related to mdworker32, which is part of Spotlight. Here's a guide for turning Spotlight off (and back on) to see if turning it off makes any difference.

8. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Will try that now also and report back.

I should also mention two other things that may be relevant:

1. In a thread in the apple support forums where someone else had the same issue, their problem was solved by trashing a sparseimage file in the Shared folder. When I read that post, I also had that same sparseimage file in the shared folder and trashed it. Unfortunately, it did not solve the issue for me. I have not since seen that same file reappear.

2. My home folder is basically as it should be except for the following..

My music is on a USB external drive with iTunes pointing to it as well as the 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder in the dock. It is not on the same drive as my home folder.

Also, in my home folder I have an encrypted disk image folder. I can't remember if I created that before or after I had originally turned on Filevault on the old computer. However, would it make a difference if that is unlocked or simply removed before I turn on Filevault?

Thanks again for the responses! It's great to have a place to turn to with these issues after no response on the Apple support site.

9. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, disabling Spotlight did not seem to help either.

Another option that I am considering is just skipping the migration and starting a new account, turning on Filevault and then using the assistant to merge in my old data.

My two problems with that are that I've always had much better results using the migration at initial install compared to using the assistant afterwards, and, possibly more troubling, is that I still haven't solved the issue. I am worried that something in my home folder might be corrupted leading to Filevault issues down the road.

So, leading to a somewhat related issue, can anyone tell me what exactly is the difference is between using migration at initial install compared to using the assistant later? I do understand that the process is different especially if you use the same home name/password, but I am specifically interested in the end result.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Having an encrypted disk image won't make a difference. I have a few of those lying around in various places. Mac just sees it as a normal file most of the time.

I can't say for certain if there's any big differences between migrating at install versus after installing. I think I've done both. Just have to make sure your initial account won't use the user name you want to migrate later as that will cause issues (I only found out once personally).

11. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

just turn filevault off. unless you're working for the CIA or FBI or some secret government funded project you don't need filevault. it's a horrible feature added into OS X which usually causes some nasty problems in the long run.

my personal favorite part of filevault is the feature that once you forget the master password you have to delete all your stuff. pretty awesome.

i highly suggest not using it. ::2cents::

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

agreed, there's been better alternatives then filevault. I keep reading about problems with FV on the internet and its clearly not worth the risk.

the odds of losing your data due to FV problems are far greater then losing your computer and having your data fall into the wrong hands.

If any data that is sensitive, just put it in an encrypted disk image, that way your home folder will be safe from the instabilities of FileVault.

13. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't want to debate the merits of Filevault itself, rather just hoping to solve my issue. I do keep an unencrypted physically safe backup off-site.

And I don't really see what the difference would be losing you FV password or the password to an encrypted disk image...either way it seems to me that you would be in trouble without a backup.

14. Beerswiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Migrated the accounts after installation and still having the same issues...last bump before I give up! Any other ideas?

Thanks again for the help

15. redrumq3 macrumors newbie

Solution

I had this same problem and I fixed it by renaming the home directory.

I enabled the root user then logged in as root and renamed the home directory. I then deleted the old user and created a new one making sure the short name matched the renamed home directory. OS X saw I had a folder with that name already and asked if I wanted to use it. I said yes and then logged back into my user account and disabled root. I went into filevault and enabled it. It worked the first time no problems.

Hope this helps someone else out because I have been fighting with this for a couple weeks now off and on. I searched all over google but couldn't find anything, so maybe someone searching for "FileVault will not turn on" will find it.