Filevault

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by zenapple, Apr 24, 2017.

1. zenapple macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm about to reformat my MacBook Air and would like to enable Fielvault. I'm planning to enable it right after formatting the drive and reinstalling El Sierra, before I put any of my data on it.

Is this the best way to go?

After I encrypt it and put all my data and install my software will those be automatically encrypted?

Ben

2. KALLT macrumors 601

The whole Macintosh HD volume will be encrypted. You don’t really have to wait until the encryption is done before importing your data, all data will eventually be encrypted.

3. zenapple thread starter macrumors newbie

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

As KALLT states, no need to wait. Just make SURE that you know how the recovery key options work and also have a good backup strategy in place. Full disk encryption is a great thing if treated with the respect it requires. It can keep your data safe if used wisely but can just as easily make all of your data inaccessible to you as well.

5. zenapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. encryption took only ten minutes! I added about a 100GB of data after that and it doesn't seem to be processing that as was mentioned somewhere. Maybe after restart?

I'm also thinking about putting file vault on my time machine and other external backup drives. For time machine I know it's possible but is it also possible for a regular external drive?

Got the key save somewhere. So I'm good to go with that.

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Data is encrypted on-the-fly once the volume has been fully converted to FileVault.

You can encrypt external drives in Finder.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Very easy... just right click in Finder and Encrypt.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 11.54.56 AM.png

8. zenapple thread starter macrumors newbie