FileVault

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mastermind6192, May 12, 2010.

1. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

I enabled file-vault with secure erase, and i logged in after the encryption, but the secure erase seems stuck at 6%:confused:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The secure erase tends to be overkill. I'd turn that aspect off and just use the secure delete option when you really need it. Also, from terminal there's the srm command (do a 'man srm' for more details) that lets you do a secure delete and you can specify the number of passes to use. The default 32-pass is overkill, which secure erase uses, which is why it takes forever. The 7-pass is adequate.

3. mastermind6192 thread starter macrumors member

mastermind6192

i don't mind the overkil, i just don't want to corrupt file-vault if i quit secure erase while it is erasing via activity monitor

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, if it's stuck you pretty much have to force kill it. I've done it in the past, but it has been a while. I never noticed any corruption issues from that. If you want more certainty afterward you can go into Disk Utility and have it erase empty space on the drive doing a zero-out on it and that should smooth out any rough spots from killing the erase process.

5. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

FileVault

Trying to assist a friend recover data from a MBP that encountered a Big Gulp bath. Able to read the HD on my MBP but FileVault is blocking me from accessing her files.

Anything I can do to go around FV, or am I stuck?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Unless you're able to mount it using the appropriate password for the account, then no, it's not accessible. That would defeat the purpose of encrypting the data.