FileVault2 on part of USB Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Oct 18, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

If I take my 64GB USB Drive and create two Partitions on it, is it possible to just encrypt *one* Partition??

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... right click the partition in Finder and select encrypt.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Would it be possible to create 2 Partitions on my USB Drive, and then...

1.) Use CCC to place a clone of my entire HDD on Partition #1.

Make it "bootable".

And encrypt it with FileVault2

2.) Use CCC to place a clone of the "Recovery Partition" on Partition #2.

Make it "bootable".

Leave it UN-encrypted.

Sincerely,

Debbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to create a second partition for the recovery partition. Just clone the main, internal drive to a partition then use CCC to put a copy of the recovery partition on the USB drive. CCC will create the hidden partition for the recovery info. You can then encrypt the cloned partition. You can't encrypt the recovery partition (nor would you want to) as it will not work then.

5. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

But the whole reason I am asking this is because - as mentioned in my other thread - when I use FileVault2, it hides the "Recovery Partition".

And from what I have heard, FV2 also *strips down* the "Recovery Partition" so it isn't the same as the original.

I don't want to encrypt the "Recovery Partition".

That is why I am asking if I can place it on a 2nd Partition on the same USB Drive.

My thinking being, that then I'd have a "Factory Recovery Partition" if I ever needed it, versus the hidden and modified "Recovery Partition" that FV2 has its way with.

Sincerely,

Debbie

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Why does the Recovery Disk need to be on the same USB drive as the FV2-encrypted data?

You can put Recovery Disk on completely separate media. For example, it can be on an SD or microSD card, while keeping your encrypted disks on USB media.

To make a separate Recovery Disk, see here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

Recovery Disk takes under 1GB of disk space, so any SD or microSD card (or USB disk) that's 1GB or larger will easily accommodate it. SD and microSD cards in the 1GB size aren't the most cost-effective these days, so it may be cheaper to buy a 2GB, 4GB, or larger card, even if some space isn't used.

7. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

It doesn't.

I just figured it would be nice to keep everything on *one* USB Drive.

However, the more important questions are...

1.) Is there a difference between the original, unencrypted "Recovery Partition" that came on my Factory HDD - or that CCC will make for me - and the Hidden "Recovery Partition" that occurs after you turn FileVault2 on??

According to this article, there *is* a difference...

2.) If there is a difference, would there ever be a time when I would wish that I had the original, unencrypted "Recovery Partition" that came on my Factory HDD - or that CCC will make for me??

I still have this concern that I may have lost something when I turned FileVault2 on.

3.) What is the purpose of a "Recovery Partition"???

Does it contain the *full version* of Mountain Lion??

Will it just grab it off of my "Main Partition" clone?

Does it force me to download the whole shebang from Apple's remote website - which I abhor!!

Something else??

This is the biggest thing I am still not getting!!!

And the whole reason I bought CCC, was to try and get a *Full Copy* of Mountain Lion (and a way to restore it in case of a total crash) just like back in the old days when you'd get a full copy of the Op Sys on DVD!!!

BEFORE I start transferring data over, I want my 2nd USB Drive to contain not only a "bootable clone" of my MBP with all Apps installed, I *also* want a working "Recovery Partition" should I ever need it.

(I assume I might need it...) :confused:

Please help me get all of these concepts down better so I can start using my MBP!! :(

Sincerely,

Debbie

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Correct changes are made to the recovery partition when FileVault2 is enabled.

Probably not, having the Recovery Partition that is paired with the specific FileVault2 partition is more important.

It does not contain a full version of Mountain Lion.
    It will not grab it off the "Main Partition", even if you had the installer on there which you don't.
    Yes it will download Mountain Lion from Apples servers if you need to reinstall the OS using it.

This will work fine if you don't have FileVault2 enabled.
    Your initial clone before FileVault2 was enabled should be fine (assuming you haven't booted into the clone and enabled FileVault2 there), it would enable you to restore the un-encrypted clone back onto the computer.

The recovery partition is fine, if you really want another copy of it than as I mentioned on the other thread and chown33 has mentioned here, there is the Recovery Disk Assistant you can download from Apple to create a drive with the recovery partition on.