Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outsider78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Hi everyone,

Have a bit of a problem with my default search settings in Safari (Yosemite)

Installed Filezilla to send some stuff up via FTP. Apparently it has changed all my default search settings in Safari and I can't seem to change it.

Everytime I try to make a search using address bar, it redirects the search to frigging Yahoo.

I go to Safari/Preferences/Search Engine and change it to Google, Bing, DuckDuck Go.

It just won't work. Keeps searching with frigging Yahoo.

Hope this screen recording makes it clear:
http://youtu.be/oTuZlAn7hW4

Has anyone experience the same problem? Is there a way to fix this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
When you installed Filezilla, you should have read carefully what you were installing. Besides installing Filezilla, it will install 2-3 other apps and change some settings. You are given the chance to say no to each of them as long as you are paying attention to what you are doing.

Be careful any time you install free apps.

outsider78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Thanks,

Yes that was the issue unfortunately - me skipping next/yes/yes/yes

I took FileZilla and Sourceforge's credibility for granted I suppose. Not good!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Thanks,

Yes that was the issue unfortunately - me skipping next/yes/yes/yes

I took FileZilla and Sourceforge's credibility for granted I suppose. Not good!

If you can, always try to go to the apps home page to install. Soureforge is known for doing this to files they host.

Korky

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Hi guys I need to instal FileZilla on the imac - is source forge not the right place to get this from? If not can someone kindly let me know where is?

Thanks in advance

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Hi guys I need to instal FileZilla on the imac - is source forge not the right place to get this from? If not can someone kindly let me know where is?

Thanks in advance

You can still get it from Source Forge, just be careful with the instal. If you allow it to, it will install some garbage and change your search engine and other things.

Korky

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
All installed from Source Forge.

Hit 'skip' to yahoo, 'skip' to something else and only accepted the FileZilla so hopefully nothing untoward installed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.