Filing a complaint? (rude employee at Apple store)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dabu, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dabu macrumors newbie

Hey all! Been browsing through the forums for months and just now got the guts to register here. :)

So a couple of days ago my iPhone 5 was deactivated because of the iOS 7 beta 6 expiring. I had no idea at the time, and thought this was just a software glitch. I tried everything - even restoring my phone - but nothing worked. I made an appointment to Genius Bar and this is where my complaint comes from.

Flash back when iOS 7 beta was released, a close buddy of mine is a developer and told me that as a developer, he can add me on to his "beta list." I said sure, why not, and that is how I received iOS 7 Beta. I enjoyed the different beta versions and submitted glitches whenever possible.

Yesterday, when going in to my appointment, I informed the Apple employee that my phone is getting a "Activation Required" message and he cut me off right away and asked if I had iOS 7 Beta. I responded that I did and he then raised his voice and told me that I have this message because I stole from them. He told me that I illegally downloaded iOS 7 beta and that I am a thief. Customers and employees were around looking at both of us as he continued to go on about how I should not have done that. I felt like I was being humiliated and I am not the type to enjoy confrontation so I continued to nod and at one point told him that a friend of mine installed it for me - that I had no idea.

He told me that he would restore my phone and that police will be here shortly. I did not respond to his comment, and he then told me that he was only kidding - but that he could if he wanted to.

As the phone is restoring, I hear him talking to an Apple employee complaining about another customer not understanding that the customer's problem does not lie on the apple product, but a third party app (from what I understood) and proceeded to complain, "I don't understand why we have to waste our time over something that is not OUR problem."

While my phone was restoring, he told me not to do what I did again several times. When my phone was restored, I grabbed my phone and left without saying a word.

Is this common within Apple employees? I've always had the impression of how great their customer service were - I've personally bought iPod Touches, Macbooks, iPhones from them and never once have I witnessed this kind of rude service around me. Should I file a complaint, or were his comments acceptable because i "indeed" did the "wrong" thing by getting iOS 7 beta? I apologize in advance if I did not post in the correct area, but I would appreciate your feedback on my Apple experience?

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

His comments were not acceptable. What you do about it is up to you.

You could blow it off as a guy having a bad day, complain to Apple HQ, call his manager, or simply hire an attorney and go after him and his employer for slander. Depends on how upset you are, who witnessed it, how much truth there is to your explanation of how you ended up on a beta, etc.

Always amazes me that employees don't get training on what not to say to a customer in public. No matter what they think happened, calling a customer a thief in front of witnesses is begging for a lawsuit.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Go back when the guy is working. Come back with a different problem but have a voice recorder in your pocket. If something happens, good and tell the manager about him. Just a suggestion.

4. DanyDanyella macrumors member

Complain, no matter what, the consumer/customer is always first. No reason he should be giving you a lecture in front of the whole store, he could have easily pulled you aside and go over that what you did was "illegal". He just wanted to. Some folks are ungrateful and treat others like ****.
    I work in retail/customer service and I always have a smile on my face, and treat others as I'd like to be treated.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Some employees think they are hilarious and if you are the quiet type - well crash.

You have to make up your mind, when these things happens, do you want to spend time and energy to "teach him a lesson" or your time is valuable and your main objective is to resolve your problem and get out. You know what to do from then on.

6. Moonloop macrumors member

Moonloop

Complaint

Definitely complain . Its not right . Apple products are not cheap and it does not add to the price to expect civility when dealing with customers . Ask anyone , who , like myself has been waiting almost 3 weeks for a flipping phone only to be greeted by complete Apple silence on the matter . ' October ' indeed .

And , next week the ' Muppets' will be onstage again peddling the Mac Pro , the next iPads and Mavericks as if everything was fine .

He's had his say , you'll feel better if you have yours ..

M

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Call the store and ask to speak to the manager about it. Tell him the time of your appointment and what happened.

8. Daws macrumors newbie

9. rebirth83 macrumors member

It's no different then any customer service you get at any where else. Sometimes you just get someone like that who hates their job, treat the customers like crap and think there untouchable.
    You should called back the store and demand to took with the manager to complain about that person and how you were treated. Thats the only way to keep employees like that in line or fired

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Careful - what you suggest isn't necessarily legal everywhere.