Filing from macmail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blaningle, Sep 17, 2012.

1. blaningle macrumors newbie

My wife has dragged emails out of her macmail into folders in order to file them and now some of them are blank. The senders name, subject and date are displayed but the body of the email is blank. Anyone know ho w to rectify this or get the information back? These are work emails which she desperately needs to be able to access. Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Has she tried dragging one of them back in?

I never delete email. Ever. I use IMAP not POP3 so I can view email on a dozen devices without interfering with the way it displays on the other 11. If you're using IMAP, you might be able to pull up your wife's email from another email client. Just make sure you never ever never never set up any email client to use POP3 because by default, most POP3 clients are set to "delete email from server" after it is retrieved as if everybody in the world only ever owns one computer or device. I remember having to race against the clock to switch off the "delete" setting before the POP3 client could finish the first fetch because as soon as you told it how to log in, the damn thing would start pulling down and deleting email rather than giving the user a chance to switch off the delete feature.

If you are using gmail or icloud, look in the web based email and see if the messages are still there. With an IMAP email client, moving a message to a mail folder on the client, results in the message being moved to a folder of the same name on the server. One note of caution. Dragging email out of mail.app to a file folder might be interpreted as deletion so this is why I'm suggesting you have her drag the messages back in.

3. blaningle, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

blaningle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I am not at home to look at her machine but will do this evening.

Apparently she has tried dragging the messages back in to the inbox but she is getting a message saying that they cannot be moved. She can still see the emails on her phone so they clearly still exist. Perhaps we need to reinstall her mail account

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Your wife's work email account...what type of email account is it?

5. blaningle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Brian

I think its a pop account. However I can reinstall it as an IMAP I think. She can still see the emails on her phone