Fill for Eyes?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by finnschi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

Do you have any advice on how I can archive more fill for the Eyes ?

Canon 20D
    2x Metz Flash (remotely triggered)

just look at the Picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dafinnschi/4303840345/

I want the eyes to stand out more but not the Hair to be over-Exposed :confused:

any advice? :apple:

2. toxic macrumors 68000

use an umbrella or softbox to soften the shadows, move the flash towards the camera, and/or move the flash higher so the light spills past the nose.

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

What is generally better? a Softbox or a Umbrella? I guess its matter of personal pref. but what gives me more "bang for the buck"? also what do I need for a softbox? I guess a Tripod and some kind of special bracket for the softbox to hold in place? :confused:

4. toxic macrumors 68000

I also forgot to mention, you could also stick a reflector on the shadow side to open the shadows.

neither is better. they are just different. there is more spill with an umbrella and the quality is slightly different between a softbox, shoot-through, and reflective umbrella.

an umbrella.

a speedring. lights are technically held on light stands, not tripods. softboxes are usually designed for monolights, I'm not familiar with the applications for speedlights.

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You're totally nuking the back of her head, you don't need a flash for that. Just get a lamp and light her from behind, and pull the flash up front so you have two, up front / or side.

Also, as mentioned, don't underestimate the usefulness of a reflector. But first and foremost, you need to calm your backlight down. I skip right past her face and keep bouncing back to the mess of hair.

If you don't have an umbrella or softbox, shoot the flash through something semi-opaque. Anything remotely translucent could work. If it messes up the colors just convert to BW :)