Fill in text on PDFs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmm, Apr 14, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I have to fill out a lot of PDFs by printing them, and then using a pen to write in information, e.g. address, name, contact info, etc.

Is there a way I can turn a non-fillable PDF into a fillable PDF? I have Adobe Acrobat X Pro but I am unsure how to do this. Or is there another application (preferably free)?

Thanks.

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

This will do it:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19911/formulatepro

You can also select a PDF as the watermark for a word document (Make sure you uncheck the Washout box and leave Scale set to Auto) and do it that way.

Of course acrobat pro will also do it, but I don't have any experience with that.

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

PdfPen is awesome. It's not cheap but it is worth it if you fill out a lot of pdf's. Even let's you insert your signature.

4. Flyinb macrumors member

Open your PDF with preview, select, tools, annotate, add text.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Yes that works but the formatting options are very limited

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I want something that's native.

Does anyone know how to do this with Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

7. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

From http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9192927/Acrobat_and_its_alternatives_4_ways_to_edit_PDFs_

8. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

So there is no way to take an already created PDF and edit it so it can become fillable (both for this specific time and in the future)?

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Yes you can do this in Acrobat Pro X. If acrobat seems to daunting, Formulate Pro will do it for you and it is free.

10. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you tell me how to do it? Or, even better: Can you tell me what the function is called, and I'll google it to learn how to use it in Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Thank you.

11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

This is all you need... it's free and rather easy.

PDFescape

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Keep trying. Eventually someone might actually answer the question you've asked. Wish I could...

13. birsch macrumors newbie

I recently started using a relatively new app called PDF Signer - http://pdfsign.com

It allows you to add text fields and your scanned signature to any PDF. No more printing and scanning...

14. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

Mac App Store: FormMate, roughly $22.

I have PDFPen, and used Acrobat Pro for years (on WinWoes), but when it comes to ease of use, and re-use, nothing beats this app for handling forms. First of all, it doesn't touch your original pdf. It pulls it in some sort of copy; you simply double-click on any line or in any field, and start typing. When you save, it saves in the app's proprietary format; BUT, this is actually good--- later, if you need to make changes, you open the app's version of the pdf (extension = FrM8), and you can revise without hassle. When you're done, the 1st or 17th time, you just export to pdf and you're good to go.

Note: You can also change the font and font size, as well as move the text you've typed, so it better aligns with the form. Doesn't matter if you've moved on to another field, saved to FrM8 or exported. You can always go back to that FrM8 version and easily make changes. It truly is a fantastic app. I seem to have abandoned all the others in favor of this app, coupled with PDF Suite (App Store/$2; super-easy merging, among other features) and Preview. I grabbed PDFPen before I was aware of these two apps.