Filled my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chappy87, Jul 24, 2008.

1. chappy87 macrumors regular

Right down to the last Kb! What are the chances?!

Attached Files:

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

does that cause any performance issues like it does with a disc drive?

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Are you sure you want to fill it up that much? I would leave maybe half a gig open.

4. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems fine at the moment, haven't noticed any slowdown at all- fair point though, will have to decide which albums are surplus to requirements!

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Now that it is maxed out how long do the backups take when you sync with iTunes?

6. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

Nowhere near as long as the 20-25 mins being quoted elsewhere on the forums- about 3 mins for a regular sync when I plug in. However, I suppose this could cause issues fairly soon in terms of saving messages etc, so will have to go on a music culling rampage to free up some space!

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for the answer. :)
    So it does seem as if the long back up times have nothing to do with the amount of space used.
    Hmmm.

8. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, I think the backups are to do with changes made to apps, such as scores, unlocked levels, that kinds of thing, as someone mentioned at some point somewhere in the forums. This would suggest that the more activity carried out in apps, the longer the backup will take. Sound plausible?

9. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I've noticed this relation with my iPhone too. New apps, and changes to them seem to be what increases the backup time.

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I filled my original iPhone to the brim yesterday, and there was a noticeable performance drop in most areas - taking longer for apps to come on, even the screen responsiveness was decreased.
    After removing a couple of videos and one app performance was back on par. Not sure if this is due to me still having the 1st gen iPhone (damn O2 and their stock problems) but I'll be leaving a couple hundred MB free on the 3G when it arrives to be on the safe side...

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I dont know about this screenshot.....why would it say the word "zero" instead of using the number "0" like all of the other items on the status bar?

12. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

Jeez, what is wrong with some of the people on these forums?! It just does, ok?! I have no idea why Apple made it so, but they did. I don't understand why people assume that every single screenshot of something they haven't seen for themselves is a fake. Why would I make a mockup of what happens when you fill your iPhone?!! What do I stand to gain from this??!!

I take it you also don't believe that I was listening to Biffy Clyro at the time, or that I don't have 27 unplayed podcasts? I mean, after all a screenshot can't simply be a shot of what was on my screen at the time.

Unbelievable.

13. spetykowski macrumors member

i couldn't agree more! Maybe if we were talking about a leaked iPhone picture, or new MacPro Case... but a screenshot, give the man a break!

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I''ve done that as well and continued to use it for several days like that with no problems at all.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would think you need some free space for any changes such as calendar, contacts, etc.

16. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at the screenshot carefully, and at the memory bar, zero KB doesn't seem to literally mean no space left at all; there is a small bit of white left at the end. I suppose the phone does keep a little memory free for SMS and such?

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am pretty much at that point as well

I didnt even know I had done it until I synced the other day and saw it wouldnt do it because of space

8 gigs went by damn quick

18. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

19. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Note: It won't effect performance because there's a separate partition for the system.

20. someguy7014 macrumors member

Quote by:

Loonytik

I dont know about this screenshot.....why would it say the word "zero" instead of using the number "0" like all of the other items on the status bar?

YOUR A FOOL. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. WHAT WOULD HE GET OUT OF FAKING THIS PHOTO. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK/TYPE.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE THIS WORLD THE **** HOLE IT IS TODAY.

21. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Not bad.

iTunes currently thinks my first gen 8gb iPhone has 9+ gigs of music on it, and nothing else though. I'll post a screen shot when I get home tomorrow.