Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HD Fboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I already own Documents to Go, Quick Office, Good Reader, and iAnnotate.

I need the ability to open word forms (and some times xls files) save them as PDF's , add free form text and a signature. Some files come as PDF's.

I need to have the ability to fill out forms and sign them. With Work Documents, Documents to Go opens my forms perfectly but I cant figure out how to save as a PDF.

iAnnotate allows me to sign documents but won't zoom in where i can get the signature small enough. It also won't let me type free form text into blocks. It won't open the word files that are forms correctly.

I think the new version of Good Reader will allow free form text but won't read my word forms correctly. I did not check the free form text here yet after it wouldn't open the document correctly.

Quick Office is a bust.

Any suggestions????

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND MAYBE HELPING!!

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
I don't think I've figured out the most streamlined way to do all of this yet, but I do a combination of these things with a couple of different apps:

Pages and Numbers lets you import a .doc. or .xls file and then export as a pdf to your iDisk/ WebDAV. I then open the pdf from Readdle docs (or Goodreader, or whatever) and 'Open in' SignMyIpad. That lets you add different elements like text, signature, date etc, resize it and then move it to the appropriate place on the page.

This works well for me, and SMI has been a surprisingly useful buy for me. I also use PDF expert instead of iAnnotate to mark up pdf documents as I find that I get a more accurate copy in Preview on my Mac than with iAnnotate.

Hope that helps?

HD Fboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I now own most of the PDF Apps out there. NONE of which I have been able get to meet my needs.

I sign contracts regularly.

I need the ability to Add my name, title, and the date in black without any boxes around it.

I need the ability to zoom in and sign my name in a block 3/8 -1/2 inch high. Or, import a jpg of my signature and scale it to the appropriate size.

Save the file with a new file name.

That's it. period.

Now, some of the contracts are in .doc format with some fairly high level tables, etc. THe only app that I have found that will read these properly is Docs to Go Premium. It will read them, it either won't allow or I haven't determined a way to save the file in a PDF format. THis would be a huge bonus if it would do this. I understand Pages allows this but it struggles with some of these formats (and DTG doesn't, go figure). I also understand a PDF created with Pages for the iPad often results in a scrambled document.

My work around here is to just have the contract sent origanlly as a PDF. Not the best choice, but it will work. IF I HAVE A PDF READER/MODIFER THAT WILL ALLOW WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE.

An iPad version of Photoshop that allows layers would accomplish this.

I don't understand why I cant get this done.

I have purchased SignMyPad but am struggling with this app as well. the signature is jagged.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Quite a few of the Notes applications lets you import a PDF as a page, and then you can write over the top of it freehand. This might give you a better signature?

I'm not sure which are the best ones as I have only tried a couple. There are loads of threads on the best note-taking apps if you do a search for them though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.