Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brasiliangringo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I have a 17" mbp and find myself regulary having to CMD + the browser window to fill screen for more comfortable viewing.

Is there any way i can set up browser to scale up or is it simply that some website (pages) have been designed with extra columns of space either side of main body of information ?

I am familiar with increasing font size but this falls short of filling webpage to screen size..

Thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
There's a bookmarklet that makes this task much less painful. Bookmarklets are little fragments of JavaScript, stored in a bookmark.

Drag this link to your bookmarks bar, then click it. Presto, full-screen browser.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Let's try that again...

In your browser, create a new bookmark. Paste this bit of JavaScript in as the address:
Code:
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);
Name it Full Screen.

If it's not working, Apple may have disabled the ability of scripts to move and resize existing windows in Safari 4 - which this script relies on to work. I can't find a preference setting for advanced JavaScript settings, which is where you change this behavior in Firefox.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Let's try that again...

In your browser, create a new bookmark. Paste this bit of JavaScript in as the address:
Code:
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);
Name it Full Screen.

If it's not working, Apple may have disabled the ability of scripts to move and resize existing windows in Safari 4 - which this script relies on to work. I can't find a preference setting for advanced JavaScript settings, which is where you change this behavior in Firefox.

It appears that they have disabled that option, which I'm glad of (I hate windows that resize themselves).

OP: Try Glims, it has a full screen mode that works well and has a key combo to start it (Ctrl-Cmd-F). I never use it myself, but I just tried it and it was very smooth.

jW

davelikesmacs

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
javascript to maximise safari window in safari 4

I had been having trouble with my javascript maximise bookmark recently which I thought might be related to Safari 4 and after a whole lot of fiddling around I've finally figured out that when I have multiple tabs open (which due to layout improvements in 4 is most of the time!) it doesn't work. It still works on a blank new window, or with only one tab in the window.

The link is javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

I've also got Glims installed but rarely use its full screen option (I find the search bar auto links most useful).

I had used Saft in the past but it turned out to be a massive pain in the arse.

I'd therefore recommend sticking to the javascript or Glims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.