Film Dance class - mic set up?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveOooo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

I have in the past shot/edited a fitness dvd - we used a shotgun mic hung down or pointed using a mic stand.

I may be doing a dance class recording (pos turned into dvd).

Obviously the dancers would want to dance to the music during whilst talking.

Im not sure exactly on mic set up / how to do it. perhaps:

Shotgun mic - as the fitness dvd, except the music in the room is kept low - the music track is added in post - by overlaying the original music track with the camera sound, would the speech still be ok? perhaps some reverb added.

Wireless lapel mics - what would work best using a Z1 or 7D (which would have the mics att. to a zoom h4n if i did use a 7d) - What wireless mics would be recommended - seinheiser?

Or safe bet would be for them to demo the moves slowly then when they dance to the music, they dont talk (could have graphically aids instead even).

EDIT - what mic is used in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXRf_SuZND0

the lapel mic is on her right breast - sounds like theve recorded the music on set rather than in post?

the lapel mic - theres no cable to a transmitter (not that i can see - perhaps some poor chap had to wire it around her right breast?)

is that it? just a small lapel mic with the transmitter built in - perhaps they added the music in post which left some of the set audio?

2. Leddy macrumors regular

Hi Steve - not sure what mic she's wearing, but there is a belt pack stashed on her body somewhere. (Possibly clipped to her waist and turned inwards ie. so it's on the inside of her clothing.) Yes, some "poor sod" has to do that ...(!)

I think you're on the right track with a lapel mic if you want to run the music as the presenter explains the moves and does them. You'll get much cleaner audio this way. You could always take a feed out of the stereo at the same time as you record if you want to make sure you get the music cleanly/ in sync, or sync it later in post, or even use a shotgun mic as a room/ambient mic to pic up the sounds of the dancers and the music - ie. similar to how it was done in that video.

Any decent lapel would do. You might want to grab a mixer to feed the Zoom as they have a noticeable noise-floor when the input is set above 40. Having a mixer enables you to pump a higher level into the Zoom while keeping the inputs set for optimum signal to noise ratio.

Picture-wise, each option will have its benefits and trade-offs. Not sure if rolling-shutter artefacts will be an issue with the 7D due to the fast movement - you may want to test this before committing to it. Then there is the file size/time limitation with recording to CF on a 7D and the transcoding to ProRes afterwards. The Z1 will do the job albeit with not as good colour depth or image quality overall, but you'll be able to feed the mics into it directly if your budget doesn't stretch to an outboard mixer/recorder and you'll be able to roll long takes if necessary.

Cheers.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks,

have since tested a bit recording speech and room music, then using the same music track in post and syncing up - works ok. The lapel mic def. gives cleaner crisper sound than the shotgun mic.

possible will get below radio lapel mics. The only concern i have is it coming off mid way through (vigourous) but im sure, as long as she doesnt sit on the transmitter pack (doing floor exercises) should be fine. - can always retake the take.

http://www.videogear.co.uk/Audio/Radio-Mics/Sennheiser-EW112P-G3-Radio-Microphone-Kit/prod_982.html

would there be headset alternatives - ie in the theatre i think they wear them ? With a flesh colour mic on the cheek.

Yes the 7d isnt made for continuos recording - will be getting a z1 and use a hc3 (cheap hdv camcorder) as the centre locked off cam.

4. Leddy macrumors regular

Hi Steve,

The G3's are well regarded and should be eminently suitable ... perhaps suss out the exercises/routine prior so you can place the pack in the least vulnerable position.

Sennheiser do headset options for that transmitter which is probably an even better way to go as it keeps the mic a set distance from the presenter's mouth and always in the same relative position, so there's less chance of inconsistent levels. I'd suggest you go for that option if your budget stretches that far.

re. the 7D - I'm really interested to see the direction Canon go with this concept. I think we'll see something from them soon designed with video in mind which will be a boon for people who can't afford RED, yet are looking for something of a similar quality.

Best of luck with the shoot.