Film Lens on a Digital SLR Body

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juanbond, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

When I was in high school I worked for a photographer printing wedding pictures and helping out around his studio. The guy I worked for encouraged me to get a camera of my own and I bought a Nikon N70 with a Sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4 lens. I had a lot of fun with this set up but put it on the back burner when I went to college.

After I graduated college I purchased a Nikon D90 body and I have been using the Sigma lens with my new digital SLR. I have been pretty happy with the results but I feel like I might be cheating my self.

My question is: what kind of quality and mechanical issues am I going to face using an old (13 years old) film lens on my D90?

Thank you in advance.

2. bsamcash macrumors regular

Other than the crop factor, none. At least none that I know of, as I am not an expert on that particular lens. But I often use legacy lenses on newer bodies, and the results are great.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Crop factor effects old and new FX and DX lenses. You shouldn't notice any difference.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Mechanically- if it's an f-mount lens and it doesn't protrude into the mirror box, then it's a non-issue. Any F-mount lens from it's 1950's inception to today is going to function on a D90 unless it protrudes rearward into the mirror box- and the manual generally tells you what lenses do that, but they're not all that common.

IQ-wise, if the results make you happy, then don't worry about it. Optical coatings have gotten better, so flare resistance is probably the biggest difference between modern lenses and old ones- and if you ever go up to a really high-density image sensor, you'll probably see sharpness issues- but I can't find any MTFs for this lens so it's difficult to say for sure.

It looks like Sigma released a "DG" version of this lens in 2005 with new coatings which they claim reduces ghosting and flare.

Paul