film quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by profoshow, May 26, 2011.

1. profoshow macrumors member

i have been looking for threads that discuss this topic, but have not found any. I am shooting a short movie and in the past the my video quality is good, but the video is so "sharp" and defined that it looks like a home movie and not a film. what are some changes that can be make to make the video look softer and more like a real theater movie. Also, do you have any cheap tricks to pick up audio from a distance... someone speak 40 yards away. If there are already links on any of these subjects, please share.

thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

shoot 24p with a 1/48-1/50th shutter speed for the look and shoot with the iris as open as possible...

For someone talking 40yards away, put a mic on them or record their audio after the fact.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Depending on the camera you have there may be a menu option to adjust how much image sharpening is applied to the recorded footage (careful not to turn it down too much though). For something shot after the fact you could try applying a very, very subtle blur.

Lethal

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

And try not to blow out the highlights. But you have to balance that with exposing correctly.

5. musique macrumors regular

musique

For the audio it might be difficult to get that long a cable, but with a pro mic it should work. Another option is something like the Sennheiser G3 for a wireless set-up. You should not just get a recording device with a mic and stick it in one of the actor's pockets, because you have no way of monitoring your audio.

Also, make sure you have decent wind protection if you're shooting outside.

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

What's your budget? What equipment do you have? What equipment do you have access to? What Mac HW and SW do you intend to use?

7. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

You could use a separate voice recorder / cheap microphone combo. Maybe you have an Ipod with a record setting? Pick up a cheap microphone and then spend hours lip syncing in Final cut??!!

8. pigbat macrumors regular

I've never used this app but I've heard good things. It may be worth a look:

FiRe - Field Recorder 1.5 in the App Store.

9. sumone macrumors regular

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a canon HF M30 and would like to get a more professional look from my video. I am still a beginner so i'm not all that familiar with techniques. I have tried to look online for tips but none of them seem to help. If anyone can provide some tips and perhaps some sample video from someone who uses a consumer video cam and still gets a pro look that would be greatly appreciated.

10. baypharm, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Just shoot in film. My God, you can pick up a used Super 8 camera for $20 bucks these days and there are still places that sell both negative and positive film rolls.

There are things you can do in post but they are very expensive and it doesn't sound like this is a commercial shoot. So I'm not going to bother mentioning them.

Worse case buy you some Harrison & Harrison filters - that will cut the "sharpness" you speak of.

Avoid high contrast scenes. Shoot very late in the day or very early in the morning.

Use a good fluid head tripod. Nothing makes cheap video look even cheaper than trying to hand hold a camera. If you have to shoot handheld use a Steadicam unit.

Outside in bright sunlight, I use a "Moose" polarizer. Much better than a plain polarizer.

Use "cinematic" camera moves and focal lengths. Use a dolly for dramatic effect. Dolly rigs can be made for cheap by buying some PVC pipe, 1/4" plywood, and some bearing caster wheels at your local hardware store.

Foley sweetening can take place in post for best results - but if you can't or won't - use a wireless mic setup. Bear in mind the best ones are very expensive and again you'll achieve optimum results by foley editing in post.

Practice. Good luck.

11. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I made this video http://vimeo.com/24176692 with the canon ixus 100 is (just a cheap point and shoot camera).

I tried to make it look filmish by changing the aspect ratio to very wide, increasing contrast, changing the colors and putting a gloom filter over it. Oh, because I had not tripod I stabilized all the shots (which gives a nice effects sometimes, although it also does some "jumps").

12. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yep. And in post-processing use something like Colors.

Good one :D

13. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's all well and good until you get into processing costs.

My recommendation is to spend most of your time and effort in to the following:

Lighting and audio.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Great job!