Filming a 24 style action parody!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Jun 12, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok so me and my friends are going to film a 24 action parody and I was wondering if anyone here had any good ideas for input!

The idea has litreally been started to day and so far it goes something like this (wording hasn't been thought of yet):

(Terrorist1 and 2 in woodland, unable to see their faces)
    They talk about "Have you got the stuff", money is exchanged (all without seeing their faces) and a bag or "Uranium" is handed over (close up on this shot) Then moving to a shot of the terrorist recieving the uranium and smiling (he will be a sort of stereotypical terrorist with a beard and what have you!). It will then cut to the person showing his face too.

The 24 credits will then role.

It will then cut to jack walking into our makeshift CTU.
    Somehow they will found out about this terrorist meeting and jack will ask his buddy to come help him. This guy turns out to be the man involved in the deal aka a double agent.

There is content to put in but it will arrive at a scene where the terrorist has been caught by jack and the double agent and jack will have a line like "There is no way out for you now" and the double agent will turn the gun from the terrorist to jack and say something corny or serious (undecided!).

Jack will ofcourse get out and save the day somehow!

There is another idea of a scene where jack is interegating a suspect with punches threats etc. their is a clip of the prisoner slipping their hands through the rope restraints on the chair and kicking jack 'where the sun don't shine!' She runs outside only to be hit by a car. (only really wanted to put this scene in as I have tried out this affect in after effects!

That is the story so far with lots of content missing!

If you could help fit in the gaps it would be great! We are going to try and put a lot of effort in and we are trying to round up some props.

• My friends dad is in the army and he has a stash of army kit that we are going to use
    • We have a selection of pistols and other guns that we can edit in muzzle flashes
    • We are going to try and get some terrorist style clothes and suits for the CTU agents
    • And we are going to make up a concuction of fake blood for the fight and shooting scenes!
    • We have 2 blue screens for use in a car shot (possibly the car that hits the prisoner)

I will be filming on a canon HG10 with final cut express and after effects!

Any tips on articles on how to film fight scenes action scenes or anything would be great and any ideas on content or funny ideas (anything really) for the film would be great!

Basically just trying to get my creativity flowing and if anyone has any input at all it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. johnmadden78 macrumors member

Sounds cool.

I really think that when you're on a budget, or lack thereof, good action scenes come down to good editing. That's not to say you can sort out any problems you have at the end, but it's all about how it cuts together. Plan your shots and cuts, do a storyboard for the action scenes - this doesn't have to be detailed, stick figures will do.

Watch some of your favourite action scenes for how they're cut together - e.g., shot one, guy throws a punch, shot two, different angle of the punch connecting.

I know it's pretty vague, but it really is all about planning the shots. Any experience I have directing is mostly dialogue driven comedy and a couple of music videos (all in a past life) but if I can help with other questions, just drop me a PM.

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Way cool.:D

Find an action sequence that you love enough to watch over and over again from any movie. I like the Bourne trilogy because you get a combo of chase and fight scenes. Or, rip one straight off of 24. The best book on this art is Fight Choreography: The Art of Non-Verbal Dialogue by John Kreng.

Starting from a couple of random sequences that you then flesh out and connect in terms of a narrative is a great way to start the ideas going. Keep at this until you seem to have a kernal of a story that connects your ideas. (The hardest thing will be to edit out stuff that doesn't work - be strong).

Don't think you have to write out a script before you start visualizing it in a storyboard. Besides a storyboard (or during boarding) you may want to use toy figures and 3-D models to plot the action, and where you'll be placing the camera. You'll get more from watching films and reviewing your own shots than reading a ton of film "rules".

Keep posting!

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Wow thanks for the positive feedback!

The project is really jut setting off and it should make the last few weeks of school more fun! I was talking to a couple of people today and a couple of girls are keen to be extras or whatever!

Also cleared it with a teacher that we are allowed to walk around school with guns as it could be a bit shifty otherwise!

Hopefully over the weekend with the props and everything in (and my final as exam over) we should be able to sit down and come up with a concrete story to get the filming started!

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great!

5. TRoman macrumors newbie

TRoman

That is insane that they're letting you walk around campus with guns! 'Grats at getting over that huge hurdle! As for storyboards, I use StoryBoard Quick in my endeavors.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well the film is now finished.

It has been a hectic week and I had the first premiere to about 80 people from school and it went down really well.

It didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped though! We were too close to the deadline and there were quite a few shots with poor camera work and acting by my friends who didn't quite understand what I wanted to capture!

Anyway I will have it up on Youtube before the end of the weekend in 2 parts as it just touched 20 minutes long!

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie