Filming products/gadgets

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chelseasian, Sep 22, 2010.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am producing a segment for product reviews for a website, and i am wondering how can this be done:

We are looking to have a video of the product- i.e. an iPod Touch in the middle of a turntable, and against a white background.

I am wondering besides a video camera and a tripod, what do I need to accomplish the shoot?

i appreciate any tips.

2. andrewl232003 macrumors newbie

Well if you want a nice white background you should get a green screen as a background
    And good lighting is a must

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Green screen is the wrong way to go and would be complete overkill.

The simple answer is to shoot your product in front of a white background. What you're looking to do is commonly reffered to "tabletop lighting." Do a quick GIS to see what I'm talking about. They probably won't be the best examples, but should give you a basic idea of what to do.

You basically want to get a roll of paper which you can get in all sorts of sizes. Using a table and a couple of stands/clamps, lay out a section like in this picture:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/270200-REG/Lastolite_LL_LR3606_White_Vinyl_Background_for.html

That will give you a seamless look. Set up your product, light the scene, then shoot. It's really not much more complicated than that.

You can probably look for turntables from different lighting and photography suppliers.