Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
I was scrolling through 'What Movie are you Watching' and got to think about the films I have seen that just totally blew my mind, so much so that I had difficulty getting up after the film. I just had to sit there for a couple of minutes to collect myself.

For me, it was a couple of films.

First and Always - 2001 A Space Odyssey.
I saw it when it first came out, in a Cinemascope theatre. It still gets me over 50 years later.

Second, a film you have never heard of - if... from 1968 (providing a linky for the curious)
with a very young Malcolm McDowell.
It is based in a British boarding school, and as I was boarding at a similar institution in Aus. it resonated a lot with me and my mates that I saw it with. No spoilers but it had an apocalyptic ending. So much so that at the end, the whole audience just sat there stunned, except for the one young lass who piped up with a loud "Shiiiiiiit..."

What other films have left you feeling like that?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Probably Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs just looked so incredibly real. Just an excellent melding of CGI, practical effects, animatronics, puppetry and even dino suits.

I watched that movie in the theater seven times. I think that's the only one I went multiple times too.

Then there was Fight Club. My friend and I just looked at each other in bewilderment at the end. Like what the f*** did we just see? A lot of other people coming out of the theater had that same stunned look.

War of the Worlds (2005) was another one that left me a bit stunned. Just because it was the most plausible defeat of aliens. Of the alien invasion movies I've seen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Then there was Fight Club. My friend and I just looked at each other in bewilderment at the end. Like what the f*** did we just see? A lot of other people coming out of the theater had that same stunned look.
Unbelievable man, I can’t believe you just violated the first two rules. Reported.

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.

The Second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II

Everything else is just conversation.

I liked that film so much when my Dad let me watch it as a young teen, I took my wife to Sicily on our honeymoon lol. Still me favourite film (1 and 2 is one long film lol) of all time.

My favourites:
The Godfather 1,2
Trainspotting
In Bruges
Star Wars - A New Hope
Full Metal Jacket
Heat
The Breakfast Club
Dead Man’s Shoes

All blew my mind the first time I watched them :)

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
My best 5, not in any specific order:

1 The best offer (amazing script)
2 Slumdog millionaire (amazing script)
3 LOTR trilogy (special effect, soundtrack)
4 Star Wars (ep. IV, V, VI, script, special effects, soundtrack)
5 Once upon a time in the west (script, photography, soundtrack)

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Probably Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs just looked so incredibly real. Just an excellent melding of CGI, practical effects, animatronics, puppetry and even dino suits.

The big dinosaur reveal, where the Brontosaur* was stretching up to get the tasty top bits of the tree, always looked wrong to me. It wasn't until some years later that I was watching a cat stretch up that way that I realised that the animators had taken a 3 kg cat movement and given it to a 15,000 kg animal, scaling it up by a factor of 5,000. They would have done better by watching an elephant do the movement and scale that up by a factor of 3.

* For the pseudo-pedants. Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus are zoological synonyms.** They are equally valid. I grew up with Brontosaurus, and you won't budge me.

** Further reading suggests that Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus may actually be two separate genera. So I, and 50 million other young people have been correct all along. So there...

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
inception
momento
insomnia
donnie darko
eyes wide shut
magnolia
punch drunk love
american beauty
good will hunting
no country for old men
fargo
a clockwork orange

just to name a few. many more I can't think of right now.

Reactions: coffee06

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Only 2 that I can think of:

1) The Mission (1986 Robert DeNiro, Jeremy Irons) - This is the only movie ever that I have experienced where the audience was completely silent and glued to their seats all though the ending credits and even after the lights came up. It was THAT impactful!

2) Being There (1979 Peter Sellers) - Very thought provoking movie that leaves you wondering what you just saw and if the ending really meant what you thought it did.

Reactions: justkurious
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.