Final Cut Alternative, and video effect question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by avpmusik, Jan 8, 2009.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

I'm a total newb when it comes to video editing. In fact, the only video editor i've ever used was Windows Movie Maker, which i think is much easier to use than I-Movie...

That being said, i am on a mac now, and i've tried Final Cut Express, and i dont like how i have to render everything all the time. So i am looking for an alternative editing software thats easy to use, and also where i can do the requested effect.

What would the effect be called?

the CLOSEST video i could find at the moment to best describe what i'm asking is this youtube music video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcojbNbRq4c

notice how its dark, and grungy?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You have the program setup wrong. Your sequence settings need to match your footage.

Lethal

3. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Yes, because it was shot that way. The lighting director used creative techniques when lighting each scene to create the dark and ominous look and it was shot like all video should be, with MANUAL iris control.

The color tinting and selective focus/blurring was added in post production. FCE can handle that ... provided you use the right filters at the right settings. But the overall 'feel' and look of the video was done when shooting.

-DH

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

LethalWolfe answered your rendering question, and I'll answer your music video question...

There's no real difficult effects in that video.

They do 3 things:
    1) They use a fisheye distortion filter on footage that is panning down in the beginning
    2) They remapped the color which you can do with the 3-way (2 and a half-way since its FCE) color corrector into the greenish hues

3) The rest of it was lighting.

Oh there were some brief other distortion effects, and that ghosting flicker effect... I don't know any FCE filters that would do that but you could fake it pretty easily with an overlay of another distorted copy of the segment with a garbage matte over it I would guess.

So in short, you want to use the FCE Color corrector. The reason I called it a "2 and a half" way is that FCE only supports the 3 way color corrector in numeric mode, while FCP supports it with the GUI mode. It's not hard to get used to, don't let that scare you.

But I have to emphasize here, it's not going to look like what they did without the right lighting.

6. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

like i said i'm a total newb. how would i go about setting my sequance settings to match my footage? i went to sequence and then settings but i'm not sure what i'm looking for?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My first suggestion is to read the manual. You'll have more fun and be more productive if you know how to operate the software. To supplement the manual here is a link to a good beginner's guide from Peachpit. The first thing you'll want to do is select the proper Easy Setup. FCE only works w/DV for Standard Def and Apple Intermediate Codec for High Def (compatible HD cameras get converted into AIC). If the footage you already have is not in Apple's DV codec or the Apple Intermediate Codec you'll have to transcode it. MPEG Streamclip is a good program to use to convert video files.

Lethal

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

FCE will now handle the transcoding from HDV or AVCHD itself, in Log and Transfer.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Correct, but I was more meaning if the OP is trying to use media he captured w/Windows Movie Maker or that he pulled from the web he'll need to transcode it.

Lethal