Final cut and After Effects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Justinm59, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I'm thinking of getting after effect (in the middle of d/ling the trial). I was wondering how many people use it with Final Cut? Is it easy to use both? Or do most people use after effects with premier?(which I would also be getting in the production suite I just wasn't planning on switching from final cut) Just looking for any experience with this or tips.

Thanks,
    Justin

2. Mithlas macrumors newbie

There's a free After Effects script from Popcorn Island that makes moving FC files to AE very easy. From their website:

----
    The Popcorn Island Final Cut 2 After Effects Script is a simple way to move sequences in Final Cut into Compositions in After Effects. Not only does it allow you to work faster, it also saves storage space. The normal work flow of rendering out from Final Cut and opening in After Effects causes one to create temporary files to pass back and forth between the programs. The Final Cut 2 After Effects script will allow you to bypass that and simply use the footage that has already been imported into Final Cut.

----

URL: http://www.popcornisland.com/category/after-effects/

There's also a video tutorial at the link.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

I teach both apps at a local college. They go hand in hand like Photoshop and a Printer :) Maybe not the best example but basically, you can do some wonderful things with AE and FCP together. When I do teach FCP, I use examples as to how certain compositing tricks can be done without using an external Motion design software.

4. Justinm59 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies everybody, I'll try those suggestions.