Final Cut and External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macintoshgeek, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Macintoshgeek macrumors member

So I am running Final Cut Express on my Macbook. As you can guess it isn't exactly the best machine to be using Final Cut on, but it's all I have for now. I ran out of hard drive space so I bought a 1 TB Western Digital external hard drive to save all of my movie files on.

Here is the problem, I was working on a project saved to my external hard drive that used a video clip saved to the external hard drive. I went to render and I got an error message half way through that said I ran out of disk space. I went and looked at my finder window and sure enough it was taking off the little bit of space off of my Macbook's hard drive.

So please I need to know how to work on final cut projects that are completely external hard drive dependent. Thanks.

2. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Hi,

In your system settings/pref's you can enter all kind of directories. Also the capture scratch, render and all kind of dir's.

Make a directory like final cut express documents (if not already present), similar name as on your system disk. And enter that directory in your system settings.

Take care not to create two dir's with almost the same name, we had some bizarre errors.

Grtz, Richard