Final Cut and MPEG4? What are the issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maze Solo, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Maze Solo macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide b/n two prosumer HD cameras. My issue is this: one camera exports AVCHD and the other exports MPEG4. From what I can tell, FCE doesn't work w/ MPEG4, yet will work w/ AVCHD.

But as I understand it, AVCHD currently doesn't support 1080p, just 1080i, whereas MPEG4 indeed supports 1080p.

Will I be able to import (or transfer, if that's the preferred FCE term) MPEG4 files, or will I HAVE to use a middleware to convert the MPEG4 into a different format?

I've been researching this for a while and have read so much conflicting info, I'm not real sure what's correct

Thanks in advance.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

AVC == H.264 is part of MPEG-4 (MPEG-4 part 10 in fact). So, the camera that says that it does MPEG-4 but not AVC - can you say what camera it is? I haven't heard of a newer "MPEG-4" camera that isn't AVC/H.264.

3. Maze Solo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sanyo HD2000

I seem to be hearing that a lot. Didn't realize it was so new/rare. It's the Sanyo Vixia HD2000.

It shoots in H.264 (as most do) but this one actually exports in MPEG4 instead of AVCHD. I've been told I'd have to run the footage thru streamclip in order to open it in FCE. The upside is it shoots 1080p60f at 24mbs.

That said, I think I've decided to go w/ a Canon that shoots a slightly lesser quality file. I've liked my canon products and I want the onboard flash storage.

4. Maze Solo thread starter macrumors newbie

If anyone knows...

I would be curious to hear though if running the MPEG4's thru streamclip reduces or degrades the footage in anyway, and, if they have to go thru in real time?

Just wondering how much more effort it would take to do this w/ every clip, and any other quality I might sacrifice.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe Final Cut can import the footage with its own LOG & TRANSFER window.

And any transcoding process will degrade quality, it will not be visible for the most part.

MPEG-4 is lossy anyway.

6. Maze Solo thread starter macrumors newbie

It will not. As I said, I've discovered it would have to go thru streamclip (or similar).

That's what I figured, it's one reason I've shied away from the Sanyo.

I've read this a few times, yet no one's really explained why or how it's lossy. I'm wondering how true that really is.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For one thing, it does not store every frame - lossy.

It compresses the image - lossy.

It does not save all the information the camera captures - lossy.

More can be read in the various articles on MPEG-4 and H264.