Final Cut Codecs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DionisioVivo, Nov 30, 2008.

1. DionisioVivo macrumors newbie

I have some MPG files which I want to edit (they are of stuff I've filmed), but I can only open them using the VLC media player. I need to open them using Final Cut Express, but the programme doesn't have the right codecs. One friend suggested downloading Compressor, but I'm not sure how that will help me. Any suggestions on how I can import these files into Final Cut Express - I have version HD 3.0?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

They need to be converted to dv.

Use MPEGStreamclip to convert them first.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Use MPEG Streamclip to demux and convert the file(s) to QuickTime DV NTSC (or PAL). To avoid the need for excessive rendering, make sure ALL of the conversion settings match the intended FCE Sequence settings.

NOTE: one cannot legally download Compressor. It is only sold as part of the Final Cut Studio package.

-DH

4. DionisioVivo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. I shall follow your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

5. DionisioVivo thread starter macrumors newbie

It Works!

Just to say thanks again - I downloaded MPEGSTREAMCLIP. It then told me I had to dowload an MPEG-2 reader from the apple store. So I did that, and I'm now able to export from MpegStreamClip to Final Cut Express. Cheers. DV