Final Cut Exp. can't audio sync VHS transfers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Mar 7, 2010.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I transferred VHS tapes to my DV camcorder. When I capture the DV tapes to Final Cut Express 4, it will initially sync, but lose it after few minutes in. I've tried Firewire Basic 32 and 48 K modes with no luck.

My best guess is Final Cut is losing it due to the noisy start/stops in the original recordings. The old portable VHS decks and external cameras would glitch for a second in between shots. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

When I was looking into digitizing my VHS collection I went with a Canopus box specifically because they are so good at keeping the audio and video in sync when capturing.

I don't know if it will work, but you can try running your DV files through MPEG Streamclip, which will attempt to correct timecode breaks if it finds any. That might clean it up enough for you to get it into FCE.

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread your post and realize that everything is still on MiniDV. MPEG Streamclip obviously isn't going to help. Have you tried iMovie HD? Does that have the same problems importing that FCE does?

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Does the 'original' Mini DV tape have the issues on playback? Or is it only after import?

Can you import other MiniDV content into FCE without issue? It seems odd that it would do this specifically with content that was originally on VHS. I mean, thinking about it...why would it matter what the original source was? It's MiniDV, it should capture regardless of what's on the tape. :confused:

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

the bigger question is can your minidv camcorder do what's called "pass thru" ?

this is when you connect your VCR to your camcorder than the camcorder to your mac. the camcorder just acts as a conduit for the information so the VCR is really talking to the computer.

that might solve the out of sync issues.. plus, it's less wear and tear on your camcorder and your VCR.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It's a fairly common issue, actually. Some encoders don't do a good job of keeping audio in sync during the capture. Usually it occurs with standalone analog-to-digital converters though.

I second what Keebler says. Can you just do a minidv passthru? If your camcorder isn't capable of this (most are, but some older ones aren't), and it's not a problem specific to FCE, then I would look towards buying or maybe renting a standalone analog-to-digital converter if this is important footage you want to keep.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

But it wouldn't be a matter of what's on the MiniDV tape, I mean, the material or it's original source, would it? The OP would be having this same problem with any MiniDV material, right? Whether it be a camcorder-shot home movie or a VHS transfer to MiniDV? You mention that this occurs during capture (as in not commenting on the recording of the VHS source matrial onto MiniDV tape).

7. Leddy macrumors regular

I used to hook my VHS to the input of my DV deck for pass through, then just capture the footage using the non-controllable device setting in FCP - not sure if it's similar in FCE, but it might be worth a shot.

8. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

The DV tape is in perfect sync, but the pass thru method is worth a shot. I have a Canon HV20 which should handle this. I'll see if that works. Thanks