Final Cut Express 3.5 Upgrade LiveType Content? Interesting Question...pls help.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I really wish that FCE 4's livetype content wasn't dumbed down. I was wondering though if it's possible to get the FCE 3.5 upgrade and simply retrieve the livetype content from the disk even though I already have FCE 4 installed? I only ask b/c I can purchase FCE 3.5 upgrade for very cheap and I'd be willing to if I could have more LiveType content. Thanks.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I see no reason why not. If anything you can use Pacifist to manually install the Livetype packages.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Can you let us know if it works for you when you try it? I haven't upgraded to FCE 4 precisely because of this "feature" ( this goes for Soundtrack too, which I was a little less worried about since it's completely removed from the package, rather than a faux upgrade )

4. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

It works fine, I just did it. FCE 4 will also work with 3.5's Soundtrack.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Awesome. Thanks! Nw I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas! :)

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Any chance you could give us the low-down on how you ran the install? It owuld be a big help to people looking for clues on how to do this in the future.

7. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Bugger, MR logged me out after typing up this post.

In a nutshell, if I remember correctly, FCE 3.5 comes with two LiveType DVDs. The media on LiveType Media DVD 1 does not come with FCE 4, while the files on LiveType Media DVD 2 come with FCE 4 (or, at least it seemed to me after a quick glance). Open the installer on LTM DVD 1 with Pacifist, select the parent/top install package, then click install. After it extracts the files, it will ask if you want to replace the existing ones. Since I wanted to keep the newer FCE 4 versions of those files, I clicked the box to remember my selection for the rest of the installation, and clicked no. Now you should have more files in your LiveType. You can browse the installer for LTM DVD 2 if you want to make sure that there aren't any files on there that you missed, but I don't think there are.

Hope this helps.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj