Final Cut Express 4.0 / audio syncing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marcinito, Apr 30, 2009.

1. marcinito macrumors newbie

marcinito

Hi guys,

I have a question concerning Final Cut Express 4.0 and audio syncing in timeline. What I want to do is put together a video clip of live musical performance, however I don't want to use the audio captured by camera. I have it recorded in better quality. So basically I want to substitute the captured audio with the one recorded separately.

The problem is that I can't hear the audio when working in timeline. I can only hear beeps. It drives me mad, because how am I supposed to sync audio and video if I can't hear what is playing. I browsed through the manual and haven't found the solution I was looking for (1000 pages, don't kill me if I haven't read it thoroughly). I checked out several tutorials on youtube but all they show is how to sync clip transitions with marked beats. This is not helpful at all. I have to actually see the footage and hear the audio to be able to decide if the guitar solo (audio) is in sync with what the guitarist is doing on screen.

I hope you can help :)

Cheers,
    marcinito

2. marcinito thread starter macrumors newbie

marcinito

Wheeew!

Don't use mp3!!! > problem solved.
    The best is to use AIFF or AIFC. (I skipped the darn audio formats section when browsing manual for the solution) :D

Sorry for this small disruption.

3. htimst macrumors newbie

marc,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having a similar problem but the preview windows says, (unrendered) so I have no visual reference. The work around that I have employed, and is by no means ideal, is to render the video first. This puts the video in a format that FCE can preview along with your audio file. Then it's just a matter of sliding the audio or video, in the timeline, until the visual and audio queues that are using are in sync. Example, a guitar players arms movements, or the start end of the solo...whatever. With this, the audio format didn't matter as the BEEP sound is also gone when I am using mp3 audio.

I was just wondering if there is any way around this having to render the video because it just adds ridiculous time to the entire process.

Cheers!