Final Cut Express 4.0 Export HD Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ebutka, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

Alright, I have FCE 4.0 and I have a Canon 5d MkII that shoots HD video. Im editing a video and when I go to export, it exports it as a 424x318.. Why? I can change it to 1920x1080 but I looks like crap. Any ideas?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I see that the 5D MkII uses Quicktime as its container.

Before you import the video into FCE, can you open it in Quicktime? Does it look ok there?

How are you importing it into FCE?

3. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

In Quicktime it is 1920x1080, I will go to File/Import. Im not sure. I did a project a while ago and it was fine, however this one is not going so well...:(

4. jjjcoop23 macrumors newbie

did you set your preferences to import it as 1920x1080?

Thats the 1st thing that comes to mind.

5. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

I cant find anywhere to let me choose that setting..., Im in the preferences menu but I do not see it.

6. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

the only thing i could think of is that FCE is setup in a lower def than what you exported it as so make sure that in "Easy Setup" under the FCE menu that you choose the correct codec for your particular video source. you might even wanna convert your files to apple intermediate codec or HDV so FCE can natively read it w/o having to render it in the timeline. i usually use HDV or Apple Intermediate Codec w/ MPEG Streamclip for my D90 video files. this makes the video source that i am editing w/ the same as the output source, if that makes any sense.

7. jjjcoop23 macrumors newbie

go through the settings on your camcorder and make sure it is set to export at what you want.

then go back under preferences/video and check

8. Billstills macrumors newbie

Editing 5D MKII HD video workaround

You can convert the 5D MKII footage to Apple Intermediate Codec format (Keeping 1080 resolution) with the the free app MPEG Streamclip. Download at www.squared5.com. How-to instructions are posted at tinyurl.com/ngtkum

Little bit of a workaround but it should work.

Bill