(Final Cut Express 4) Downsizing HD footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MyDesktopBroke, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I'm a noob with video editing, FYI

I'm editing some footage for a friend that's shot in 1920 x 1080. When I make a new sequence, it's default frame size is 720 x 480. How can I make a new sequence with a different resolution?

Also, when I drop footage from the 1920 x 1080 clip into the new sequence, it suffers a loss of quality, even though it's being downsized. It gets pixelated even when viewed its new native resolution. What are some general guidelines to avoid such a drop in quality?

I have to eventually downsize the 1920 x 1080 footage to 640 x 480 because some of images I need to superimpose over it are that size. How should I start a new sequence so that I can end up with a 640 x 480 video that hasn't won't look pixelated after it's been downsized? I understand going from HD to 640 x 480 necessarily means a drop in quality, but the 640 x 480 shouldn't look pixelated when viewed in its native resolution, right?

Thanks for any help.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You have to tell FCE what resolution your sequence has to have. Change your Easy Setup appropriately.

640x480 pictures: If they aren't too highly compressed, you can resize them in Photoshop, Pixelmator or GIMP. Don't resize them in FCE. Final Cut's interpolation algorithm is not the best.