Final Cut Express 4: Export to Still, Incorrect Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nuggetWRX, Jun 20, 2009.

1. nuggetWRX macrumors newbie

I am trying to export a still image from a clip in FCE4 and the aspect ratio keeps changing from my original (what I assume is) 16:9 to some odd old CRT style vertically stretched and horizontally squished aspect ratio you expect from a CRT television.

This is my process after I select the frame I want in the viewer...
    Modify > Make Freeze Frame
    File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion
    Format > Still Image
    Use > Default Settings
    I've tried using the Photoshop, PNG, and JPEG format but it all does the same weird distorted aspect ratio in the end... any advice?

2. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

bump, anyone have any clues as to why it's squishing the image?

3. OSXDex macrumors newbie

Anamorphic Footage is the culprit.....Easily Fixable in Photoshop

Your footage is most likely in Anamorphic format, that's why is squishing it vertically.
    Anamorphic is a workaround where footage is taken in 16:9 format on a non 16:9 lens. The picture viewed on a 4:3 TV looks squished vertically.

Just take that still image exported from iMovie (do the same steps as you had described above. And change the image width.....
    Example:
    If you have anamorphic footage in FCE of 720x480 size, change the image size in Photoshop to 853x480 and you are back to the aspect ratio you had wanted in the first place.
    If your footage is in a difference size format, just do the math. Divide 853 by 720 and that's the number you have to multiply your horizontal pixels by in your movie. Cheers.

Remember, the stills come out in measly 72 pixels per inch, so nothing stellar to expect there. You can maybe make a small picture out of it on a website, but no print quality.......

4. erikrose macrumors newbie

Easy fix for aspect ratio using Preview

Final cut express appears to always export single frames in 4:3 aspect ratio, but this can easily be fixed with Preview, at least if you export in JPEG format:

1. Export frame as still image.
    2. Open image in Preview.
    3. From the Tools Menu, select Adjust Size...
    4. Click on the lock icon to unlock the aspect ratio.
    5. Change the ratio to any 16x9 ratio (e.g., 16x9, 32x18, etc).
    6. Click okay.
    7. Save.

5. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

It does this when exporting QuickTime movies as well. Annoying because the only way to get them to come out right in iDVD is to get quicktime pro and change the size to 853x480.