Final Cut Express 4 Help!!!!!...asap!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sbp9731, Dec 11, 2009.

1. sbp9731 macrumors newbie

To Anyone that has Final Cut Express 4 savvy...

Let me see if you have seen this before

First off let me clue you in...

I am teaching video to 5th graders and using mostly Mini DV tape cameras

when i download video from the camera into FC4 it looks fine (full frame) and i can even edit the clips in it for a day or 2

the problem is on any given day i can boot up the Mac Mini I just got new and using only for video...

and the same video clips will be in widescreen aspect ratio

now if this were the old i movie that would be no problem but in FC4 I can find no selection to restore them to their original inputed format..

I possess Diana Weynand's training manual for FC4 but it is no help

If anyone can enlighten me on what I am not seeing here I would appreciate the most prompt response as I am trying to finish a Christmas Video for my kids to take home for the holidays and our Christmas Vacation starts after this next week

thanks so much for whatever help you can provide

you can email me direct with the info to separatebranches@comcast.net
    to Greg

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You should remove your email address as spambots might take up on that or at least remove that @.

It is not really clear what you want, but I assume that you shot your video with the 4:3 aspect ratio and in FCE the footage is shown as 16:9 (widescreen)?
    Is that right?

If you create a new project or sequence you can set FCE to show the footage in 4:3.

Example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sbp9731 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for your help
    but how do you get to those windows I can't seem to bring them up
    all i get are sequence presets

i did manage to solve the problem by going into Item Properties and deselecting "Anamorphic"

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Select sequence in bin/project browser window, right click on it and select Sequence Settings on the bottom.

5. sbp9731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac user

I don't have right click on this mouse I am using a Mac Mini

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If you're mousing the Apple mouse, it has right click. Move your finger towards the top right of the mouse and click. (If you didn't set it up already, enable the right side of the mouse to be right click in SYSTEM PREFERENCES.)

Or, just simple hold the the CONTROL button the keyboard, and click.

7. sbp9731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Nothing

Tried holding down the control button and clicking whick i was already doing and settings option is only highlighted when you Highlight an actual seq file
    then the only window that comes up is the one that has only name , display options and track settings

if control click in the center of the browser window i get new seq or new bin
    but not the windows u showed me here

any other ideas??

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If you Control+Click your Sequence in the Browser, you will see a list and go to SETTINGS (or PROPERTIES).

However, the windows Spinnerlys showed will look different than yours because he is using Final Cut Pro, while you have Express. But the process is the same.

In the Express version of the SETTINGS/PROP window will look like a table/chart. With a bunch of terms on the left-sidebar.

On the left handside find the word ANAMORPHIC. In that row, right next to ANAMORPHIC, there is either NOTHING or a CHECK MARK. Either way, click that area and either the check mark should go away or it should appear.

I would show you what it looks like but I uninstalled Final Cut Express once I bought Final Cut Studio.

9. sbp9731 thread starter macrumors newbie

settings

what you just described is how i got the original problem solved (by unchecking amamorphic but i still can't find any other setting options
    but u may be right that maybe those windows that he displayed here maybe i don't have in express
    if that is the case that would be a major drawback because i could sure use them:)

I will keep looking and definitely appreciate your and everyones time and suggestions

keep em coming

I am trying to finish a video due this week:)