Final Cut Express 4 Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by suprajoe, Nov 1, 2008.

1. suprajoe macrumors member

Here is my Mac configuration:
    Mac Pro
    2 - 2.8
    10 Gig memory
    2 - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT w/256MB - Both cards in the PCIe x16 slots

Issue:
    In FCE 4.0.1 I am trying to use the "Line Art" filter. The video I am using came from Quick Time Pro and is about 10 seconds long. So I add the video to my time line, render both audio/video. In the Viewer it shows my video, I select the Filters tab. I go to the Browser window and choose Line Art from the Stylize list. When I move it to the Filters tab on the Viewer, the Canvas window goes red and this is what is shown: The effect "Line Art" failed to render: Your hardware cannot render at the requested size and depth.

I took my Mac into the Apple store and the second video card was bad so they replaced it. Thought this would fix the issue, but no. What I have noticed is if I take out the second video card, I can use this effect. It just won't let me with both video cards in.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have the second video card because I use 4 monitors. Thanks!

2. suprajoe thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any idea? I'm pulling my hair out here. Well, not really as I don't have too much hair to pull out :)

3. suprajoe thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I got help in another forum so I will post up what I have found.

It looks like Final Cut Express 4 has some issues with the two video cards. I don't know if it is an ATI issue or just an issue with have two video cards. What I did was take out the second card, and my issue in FCE went away. When I put the second card back it, the issue came back. What I did last night was instead of taking out the second video card, I unplugged both monitors that were connected to this card, my issue went away. connected the monitors back, issue came back.

So, if anyone is going to get a new Mac Pro with 2 ATI HD 2600 XT, and are going to be using Final Cut or FCE mainly, do your research first!