Final Cut Express 4 or Final Cut pro X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xelentoliver, Jun 25, 2011.

1. xelentoliver macrumors newbie

xelentoliver

I've been using iMovie HD and 09 for the past 18months, and I just want something a bit more professional and get away from the 'family friendly' feel. So that's why I was looking at FCE4 and was waiting till FCE5, but it doesn't look like Apple will continue with that now. But now Final Cut Pro X has been released, and sure, it is probably twice the editor that FCE4 is. But it looks so much like iMovie I'm not sure if I want that simplicity. So should I save some money and buy FCE4, which has a semi-professional feel and looks totally different to iMovie. Or should I risk it and buy FCPX which, let's face it is iMovie and Final Cut combined, I'm not sure if I want that... :confused:

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Final Cut Express has been discontinued, so I suppose that probably makes your decision for you.

3. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

In my opinion, FCP X falls in between FCE 4 and FCP7. And now FCP X is the same price that express used to be. If you're coming from iMovie, you'll probably have a fairly easy time getting used to the new interface in X too, as the older interface is very different from the new iMovie and took me some time to get used to. Probably best to stay current and go with X.

4. jwm2 macrumors regular

Why would you not want simplicity? Folks like myself pay extra for simplicity. Theres nothing "cool" about having to search and find tools scattered across your screen.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Definitely give iMovie '11 a try, it is much improved over '08 and '09, then try switching to Final Cut X (or just do that right off the bat) and you will enjoy a much wider array of editing tools than iMovie.

6. B. Hunter macrumors regular

Go buy Adobe Premiere Elements. Works just fine and is very affordable.

7. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Agree with everyone else FCE is dead and buried. Unless you run PPC machines look at iMovie/Premiere Elements/FCPX.

8. BethParker macrumors newbie

Go to Adobe Premier. May as well use an industry standard.

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Since Apple released the multi-cam update for FCP X, I'm become a HUGE fan of FXP X. It now has all the power that I used* in FCP 7, with the simplicity of iMovie.

* I'm not saying it can do everything FCP 7 did. Just saying it did everything I used FCP 7 for, and I'm fairly experienced with editing. FCP 6 certified.

10. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Essentially that is what Apple said their plan is, to slowly introduce features back into it. Hopefully they keep doing this. FCPX is finally a viable option for me. It's pretty quick, too.