Final Cut Express 4 running slow...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Dec 16, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

It is taking ages to import and render clips and simply doesnt work that fast at all...

Is this the speed I should expect from FCE?

Im on a 2.4GHz 2GB Ram iMac (AL) with heaps of free space (300Gbs+)

Thanks

P.s Is it more beneficial if the scratch disk is not Macintosh HD but another disk?

Thanks!

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Typically you always want to have any scratch disk be different from the drive running the application. This goes for FCE4, Photoshop, etc.

-Kevin

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Is Spotlight still indexing anything, your scratch disk maybe?

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Since I am completely new to Final Cut Express I used Macintosh HD as my scratch disk (After not being able to find anything in the 1000 page manual!)

I assume that using a firewire drive is more beneficial over a USB drive as it is quicker.

Do you think that will solve my slow issues?

How big does the scratch disk have to be?

Thanks for digging up my old problem!

Its much appreciated!

5. BrownSquirrel macrumors newbie

I am having a problem in this area also. When I go to capture video I get a message saying that I don’t have enough space. I also got a message saying something about a scratch drive.

Sorry for being Mac illiterate but how can I find these scratch files because I want to delete them.

Also, is there away to see what programs on my computer and how much space they are taking up. I have a 150 GB hard drive and it’s full and I cant figure out why.

Once again I apologize for being Mac illiterate.

Thanks

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

You'll be wanting OmniDisk Sweep The trial version will be sufficient for your needs!

Im just confused whether FCE just doesnt run fast on everyones and people are just living with it. I dont know if I am expecting too much out of the new machine! Is there any way to benchmark test it or something?

THanks