Final Cut Express 4- Showing Date in Captured Clip Names

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gnpwdr, Jun 16, 2008.

1. gnpwdr macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and the mac world. I have a question regarding captured clip names in Final Cut Express 4. Is it possible to save clips (while capturing) with Date/Time shot information in the file names?

If not, is it possible to see this information somewhere after the capture process?

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Cheers...

2. -DH macrumors 65816

When you log each clip, just include the date and time (and any other info you want) as part of the clip name or in the Log Note section.

-DH

3. gnpwdr thread starter macrumors newbie

is it not possible to get final cut to do this while capturing with scene detection rather than manually doing it? (I have a DV tape based camera not a hdd one, not sure if this makes any difference.)

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

On a MiniDV tape, the only information that will typically be pulled off the tape during capture is time code. If you want date information, you need to do this yourself during log/capture, as -DH mentioned.

5. gnpwdr thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, using the same camera etc, I was able to get file names using date-time format on my PC using HDV Split... so the date information is on the tape.. any other ideas anyone?>

6. radboud macrumors newbie

imovie 8 can

I would like to know the answer to this question too. I have noticed that iMovie 8 can name clips with the correct date and time when importing.

Maybe this information is only avalaible during capture ?

Radboud

7. MacSiggy macrumors member

I sometimes capture using iMovie and then edit using FCE, I get the dates and times this way.