Final Cut Express 4....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jjjcoop23, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jjjcoop23 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum, and new to Mac's.

I just bought a 15'' Mac Book pro and added Final Cut Express 4.

I have been doing video editing on PC's for a couple years, and decided to move to Mac so I could get a better finished product.

I have some questions about Final Cut; can you make audio sounds in it, how do you "fade" single clips, and what are some good plug ins for the software?

I am brand new with it, so ANY AND ALL help is awesome!

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Audio Sounds: No, unless you mean the test signals, like 1kHz. More on page 863.

Fading: the manual describes it like this:

Adding Transitions to Clips in Your Sequence

You can add any type of transition, whether or not it’s the default transition, using the Effects menu or the Effects tab in the Browser.

To add a transition from the Effects menu:

1 Do one of the following:
    Click an edit point between two clips in your sequence to select it.
    Position the Canvas or Timeline playhead at the desired edit point.
    Position the Canvas or Timeline playhead on a transition that’s already been edited into your sequence.

2 Do one of the following:
    Choose Effects > Video Transitions, choose the type of transition, then choose the desired transition from the submenu.
    Choose Effects > Audio Transitions, then choose the desired transition from the submenu.

If there are enough overlapping frames on both sides of the edit point, the selected
    transition is added to your edit, centered at the edit point.

More on page 537.

Plug-Ins: See what you can do with the effects already at hand. It's quite powerful as it is.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Just thought I would add, don't forget to Use Garage band for your sounds. A previous version of FCE came with Soundtrack Pro, but Garage Band will work well enough for you.

4. jjjcoop23 thread starter macrumors newbie

so garage band will create music? (remember-im new):D

5. jjjcoop23 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You asked, if Garage Band would create music, so I answered and showed you where to look, what Garage Band can do.

Nothing to get excited about.

And what is there to talk about with experienced users if you ask questions, that can be answered with yes or no, or pointing to a page in a manual that explains it quite extensive?

Be more specific what you want from us.

Maybe my answer for plug-ins might be interpreted as rude, but I know that feeling, when you get a new piece of software, to fill it up with plug-ins.
    I did that my self with 3D Studio Max in the 90ies, without even learning what I could do with the software alone.

Have a good day.

7. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

A perfect object lesson on how to be ignored in a forum. Good job.

What's the difference where you read the information you need? This forum is a web site too.

P.S. The proper response is "Thank you"

8. jjjcoop23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Um - thanks for the OBVIOUS-

Im not here to get in a pissing match, I am here to get some real useful information.

9. jjjcoop23 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response.

I am not getting frustrated "yet" with the software, but I am having to teach myself about the mac, live type, final cut, and now garage band.

Its a process I know, but a lot of information to learn at once. The final cut manual is 1000 pages. And the most frustrating part is I know the software will do what I want, I just dont have it all figured out.

I asked about the plugins because i didnt see where I could add sound effects to the video like imovie has.

thanks for the help.

10. jjjcoop23 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was wrong for saying "music" with garage band, more like "sound effects"

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sound Effects can be found under Effects > Audio Filters.

From there you drag them onto the audio clip, double click the clip and the clip will be editable in the Viewer (left monitor). Under the Filters tab you can edit the effects you applied.

The best way to learn is to make a short video project, where you use all the ways to create what you may want.

Also have a look at Lynda.com, they have video tutorials on FC. A subscription for one month costs around 25$.

What kind of sound effects are talking about? I don't know about iMovie's effects, as I find iMovie to limiting (coming from Premiere and Avid Xpress (DV) and Media Composer).