Final cut express and Lion 10.7.3 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ercw, May 11, 2012.

1. ercw macrumors regular

So…I purchased a new iMac 27” 3.1 Ghz intel Core i5, with 16 GB of RAM and Lion 10.7.3 . (quicktime 10.1)

I installed my copy of FCE 4.0 with no problem from the disk , fired it up fine and captured about a 100 GB for a project from my Canon HV20 with the exact same settings I used to use on my older Mac.

Issue: the image on the canvas window is considerably smaller than the viewer and kinda fuzzy. I tried exporting a small section with Quictime movie and I end up with a much smaller video size than normal, again, fuzzy.

if I just drag one of the clips I captured directly from the folder to quick time it plays normal size .

What gives? is this an issue with the quick time codec in FCE not compatible with Lion?

By the way it works fine in iMovie.

am I out of luck and have to buy Final cut X ? oh boy.

If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Eric

2. WRP, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

Does command+0 bring up the sequence settings in FCE like it does in FCP? What do the sequence settings say? If you imported the video correctly and then dropped them into the canvas of a smaller sequence, they will be at that sequences resolution, framerate, etc. Remember, the viewer is your native clip, the canvas is a display of your sequence.

Start a new sequence with the same settings as your clip, double click to open it and then drag your clips in. You can also set your preferences to auto conform (or ask to) your empty sequence to whatever media you are trying to put into it.

My guess is the default easy setup is set to something stupid like DV. If it plays fine in quicktime and in the viewer than it has to be the sequence settings.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

FCE's sequence is set to DV fresh out of the box. That is your problem.
    Follow WRP's lead. Either create a new sequence in HDV or drop your footage into an empty sequence and conform the sequence setting to your clip settings. The should come a message to ask you if you want to do that. If not, go into the Preferences (can't remember where) and turn this message on.